Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by stephen2602, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Patricio good morning and welcome to the maples forum. Thankyou for your comments about my Sangu kaku. Regarding planting one in 8a zone, IMO I don't think you will too many problems at all, but full sun all day long will result in some leaf scorch, so regular watering will be necessary. The other thing I would suggest is some protection from strong winds. Mine gets full sun most of the day and temperatures this year have got to 35°C in the Summer, resulting in some burning to some of the upper leaves. It happens!!!
    The rule of thumb for maples is morning sun and afternoon shade. They are an understory tree so do well in dappled light. But there are some that can do well in full sun and actually thrive in this position, Emperor 1 comes to mind along with many of the reds.
    So for Sangu Kaku I would say not the best for full sun, but the beautiful red branches in the Winter and especially in the snow is worth the chance in 8a.

2. Acerholic

6th December 2020 and the season comes to a close with the last few leaves in the Autumn sunshine in my garden. Hasn't been a bad Autumn for colours!!

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

17th December 2020 and my Sangu Kaku gave me so much pleasure this morning when the sun shone on it at last.
    Sangu kaku 250.JPG