Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 10, 2007.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

28th July 2020 and my Ryusen is still making new growth. Little bit of wind damage, but still very pretty.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Agust 4th 2020 and the new growth has coped well with the heat, lovely bright fresh greens. I really don't want anymore new growth now at this late stage of the season.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's been a long time since I haven't posted a photo of mine :

acerp-ryusen_200805a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

@AlainK, that cascades beautifully Alain. A golden fountain in a few weeks to match your Ryusen Bonsai. Cant wait to see it.

5. AlainK

It needs repotting, I'll do it next spring.

I think it's still time to take cuttings, I might try two or three. And I don't have a Ruysen bonsai - so far ! ;°)

6. Acerholic

@AlainK, ah! I see, I misunderstood. I'm waiting a little bit longer for cuttings as the heat is going to be far too hot this week. Bit late I know, but I will give it a try next week.
    That's going to be quite an operation re potting your Ryusen !!

7. AlainK

Yeah... ^^

8. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    The tips are changing, delicate pink tips that will turn the whole leaf to a wonderful scarlet/ orange in a few weeks.
    I think this cultivar gets more requests to show the progression than any other in my collection.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    A few weeks on and all the leaves are now on transition phase. All hopefully working towards that lovely Ryusen Autumnal display.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is.
    After a message last night asking about my Ryusen, I think this shows that at least this is going into Autumnal colours. But rather slowly!!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and my Ryusen with it's deep red branching gives off a wonderful contrast of colours at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and my Ryusen is shouting out 'Its Autumn'.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and not all the colours on my maples are a vivid and in your face, some like my Ryusen are more subtle.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and a close up of a leaf on my Ryusen. It's all about the makeup of the leaves for me. I find each and everyone fascinating.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

1st April 2021 and as promised I will keep this going this year to keep the photo diary going. Thanks for all the lovely PM's btw.
    Ryusen 716.JPG

16. Acerholic

6th April 2021 and here it is after a hard frost overnight. Looking OK in the early sunshine.
    Ryusen 180.JPG

17. Acerholic

27th April 2021 and from little buds 3 weeks ago, to this amazing cultivar getting going today.
    Ryusen 205.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Mine is labeled 'Ryu sei'. Im sure it's the same tree with different spelling. Here is mine today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

That's lovely D. You have it carpeting that area beautifully. I will add the two names to the other thread if OK by you?

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  20. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Ryusen this spring. I like its fresh green leaves.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  21. Acerholic

I love the first photo M of it just leafing out as well. Something quite special of a photo diary IMO.

MapleMO likes this.
  22. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and I just love how the greens of my Ryusen look first thing in the morning. So I thought I would share it.
    Ryusen 245.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  23. Acerholic

15th June 2021 and after quite a haircut in March, my Ryusen is now coming along quite nicely. I find that this cultivar has to be kept in check, otherwise it can take over.
    Ryusen 267.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  24. Acerholic

18th August 2021 and what should be Summer colours, is now turning Autumnal already.
    Ryusen 350.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  25. AlainK

I neglegted my trees this summer, but I'm trying to amend myself. better late than never.

'Ryusen' was one of my best trees, very healthy, but sufferred leaf scorch and lost a few twigs. It definitely needed repotting, it should have been done earlier.

I had placed it on a cup filled with pozzolane so the roots would feel some humidity. When I took it from the corner of my steps, there was a sort of pancake of roots from the hole in the pot. I think when it got dry, it searched for water, I usually don't do that, and I certainly won't do it again. I cut it off, but when I wanted to remove the tree from the pot, I had to use a long kitchen knife to remove it, it was like stuck into it.

The soil was very compact, and though it was watered yesterday, it was totally dry.

acerp-ryusen_210913a.jpg

So I cut the roots around the rootball. No photos, but I kept about 2/3rd.

Then I repotted it in a new, much more draining mix (1/4 composted pine bark, 1/4 pine bark 5-1.5 mm, 1/4 pozzolan 5-7 mm, 1/4 "plantation garden mix" from supermarket) and added a table spoon of fertilizer for rhodos and azaleas.

acerp-ryusen_210913b.jpg

The pot is not as nice as the previous one, but what's the problem, I just hope the tree will thrive...

PS : it still has a few samaras, but almost none of the 50 or so seedlings I have from this specimen display the weeping characteristic of the subject.

Xi-feng and LoverOfMaples like this.