Acer palmatum 'Ruslyn in the pink'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This has lovely blends of pink and green, but it is not varigated. The pink deepens and improves as Summer progresses. It does seem able to take more sun than most without the tips of the leaves browning.

This tree does not jump out at you with vivid colours, but for the collector I would reccomend it.

Attached Files:

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

3. Acerholic

Good evening D, not full sun all day no. But from early morning till 4pm it is. The Summer evenings it's in shade.
    It was one I wasn't too sure about buying, but am very pleased I did.

4. LoverOfMaples

Here is a pic of mine in a little more sun.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Good morning D, Wow that is a bright pink/red. What a difference those miles make. This is something being remarked upon a lot on this forum. Glad we have this to compare.
    Great photo D.

6. LoverOfMaples

Very true D

7. Acerholic

August 5th 2020, my Ruslyn in the pink is holding true to it's name. Very pretty pinks indeed. A little scorch at the tips to the lobes, but nothing serious.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    Well it coped OK, not as dark pink as D @LoverOfMaples Ruslyn in the pink, but I'm happy with it. Perhaps it will catch up in a few weeks. We will see!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    Now the changes are happening, is this an Autumnal looking leaf or what!!??

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    I am hoping the colours on my Ruslyn in the pink keep going into Autumn.
    Photo 23rd August 2020.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    I remember Charlie from Amazing Mapkes say he had no idea where this name came from. Neither do I , but I am glad I have this cultivar. Gets better every single day.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    Morning sun and some warmth, my Ruslyn in the pink is really very pink now.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Ruslyn in the pink. The colouring of this leaf just popped out at me. Just had to share it.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    The yellows are disappearing to give a full solid red now. Just specks can be seen.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and my Ruslyn in the pink is glowing pink as it's name suggests.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Oth October 2020 and the colours on my Ruslyn in the pink are now mottled with yellow. In the early morning Autumnal sunshine I think it hits the mark.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

22nd October 2020 and my Ruslyn in the pink is showing such lovely pastel shades against my dark bark ground cover. Friends had asked why I bought this cultivar, I have told them, " just look at it".....

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

17th April and my first posting of 2021 for my Ruslyn in the pink. I am trying to get this to be an upright, hence the staking.
    It's only just starting to leaf out, so I promise to show more soon.
    Ruslyn in the pink 193.JPG

21. Acerholic

3rd May 2021 and I wanted to show that some are very slow to get going this year. They need some warm sunshine. But I think they are going to have to wait some days yet. But I have a few leaves to show.
    Ruslyn in the pink 211.JPG

22. Acerholic

29th May 2021 and it's been a long wait for the leaves to open, but they have at last.
    Ruslyn in the Pink 233.JPG

23. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and no excuses for adding this one after a small shower of rain overnight.
    Ruslyn in the Pink 242.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  24. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and a dry start to the day gives a completely different look to my Ruslyn in the pink.
    Ruslyn in the pink 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  25. Acerholic

27th June 2021 and an update on my Ruslyn in the pink showing signs of the start of the second flush.
    Ruslyn in the pink 281.JPG

D97x7 likes this.