Acer palmatum 'Red Sentinal' or Twombleys Red Sentinel

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Red Sentinal ', was a new cultivar for me in 2018, I have been surprised that the reds are most noticable at the lobe tips. The rest of the reticulated leaf stays green until Autumn. This gives this tree a lot of character IMO. The photo today 24th July 2020 after a nights rain is the first of many I hope to post.
    Morning sun and afternoon shade is important with this one. I moved it in 2019 due to scorching.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and GreenLarry like this.
  2. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Very nice

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

4. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hey D. Is this Twombly's?

5. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good evening D, I purchased a Red Sentinal and a Twomblys, I know they are supposed to be the same and known by different names but my trees are different. I will update both threads over the coming few years and if they turn out to be the same I will remove this thread.

6. LoverOfMaples

Are they both reticulated? You know I love those variegated and retics.

7. Acerholic

I have both mine labelled as Red Sentinal atm, both are reticulated but I can see differences. I have not posted either under Twombleys until I'm certain. I think I will know in a couple of years as they are both still young. Bit of a waiting game D. But what name is correct!!!?? It's a bit like Ruby stars and Beni Hoshi.

8. Acerholic

Two Red Sentinal's or a Twomblys or two or one of each !!!!?????
    Both nice though IMO D @LoverOfMaples.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry and LoverOfMaples like this.
  9. LoverOfMaples

Whichever it is I like them.

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Different suppliers, probably two different root stocks might be the reason, only time will tell. Glad you like them D

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I've been helping advise my daughter and her husband about what to plant in their sunny back garden. Despite my reservations due to lack of shade, they have chosen Acer griseum, Acer palmatum ‘Beni Sazanami’ and A. p. 'Red Bamboo’ (‘Beni Otake’) plus A. p. 'Orangeola' and A. p. 'Waterfall' as foundation plants plus a couple of others in pots on their patio.

Is affection for Japanese maples heriditary? (Curly hair certainly is not.)

I had thought that A. p. 'Twombly's Red Sentinal' might be a better choice for their front garden than the 'Bloodgood' they admire in mine but now I'm not so sure. It would require protection from deer regardless until large enough to fight back.

12. Acerholic

@Margot, good morning Margot, hereditary maple affection , hmmm theres a thought. My eldest daughter has also gone down the maple route but my other children have not. Horse breeding has stopped one and the other is in an apartment so probably will never know lol.
    Red Sentinal or Twombleys Red Sentinal is a lovely tree with wonderful reticulated leaves that does give possibly more interest in Spring and Summer than Bloodgood. Either would need protection if there is a deer problem, so it is down to individual choice IMO.

Time for your daughter and son in law to join the maple forum ???? Lol. The more the merrier !!!

13. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    The lobes on the new growth are now giving the look of a ghost cultivar. This is definatly my favourite in my garden this morning.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    The new growth did not cope well with the storm, but the older leaves are doing OK. I love the colouring on my Red Sentinal and it will glow red in a few weeks as well.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.
    Turning incredibly fast now and my Red Sentinal loves this time of the year.

Attached Files:

17. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Spellcheck: I was assuming this should be "Sentinel" so did a search - which suggests the name should actually be 'Twombly's Red Sentinel' - is that correct?

18. Acerholic

@Michael F good morning Michael, this has come up before and Red Sentinal as it was sold by is actually different to Twombleys Red Sentinel. I will atm as it is still a very young tree in my garden keep with this name until it can be established that it may be a Twombleys.
    It may well be a synonym, but as yet I am unsure.
    I will change or merge the thread accordingly in the next couple of years if it indeed turns out to be the other tree.
    Cultivar ??? I think people will understand!! I have just amended the thread title just in case people are unsure.

Thanks for the input.

19. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks! It was the peculiar spelling "-al" that caught my eye - I assumed it was a typo which needed correcting. Without that, I'd not have noticed :-)

20. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    More mottled reds becoming evident each day now. And still some signs of new growth this morning.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Could not resist posting this one in the very early morning dew. This cultivar was produced for such a morning IMO.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    Getting darker every day now, what a tree!!! Still cannot decide if it is indeed a Twombleys.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Not all reds on this cultivar today, but hints obviously.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

30th September 2020 my Red Sentinal or Twombleys red sentinel is going into Autumn with a surge of colour every day now.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and this is how this cultivar can dazzle in the Autumn.

Attached Files: