Acer palmatum 'Red Flash'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Red flash 'is one if my older Japanese maples, I purchased it 30 years ago as a two year graft. This variety has to be kept from taking over my garden. I do thin it out every year, but in early 2020 it was pruned 'very hard' as you will see in my photo. By 2021 it will need doing again.
    This photo today 16th July 2020 is to show how the leaves are turning more green.
    It receives sun from morning to late evening and only struggles a little with tips browning.
    Give this one a lot of room if you are considering buying. But recommended.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Rain last night 24th July 2020, a lot of discussions about this, Atropurpureum and Bloodgood.
    Two photos showing this cultivars colouring, top leaf photo 1 and lower leaf in a lot more shade photo 2.
    @Mani, Mani maybe Interested to see these.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and GreenLarry like this.
  3. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    What a difference 6 weeks makes in Summer for my Red Flash. The greens have set in ready to start the change in the Autumn.
    Apologies for not posting it sooner.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    What a change since the last photo. Quite excited tbh, I think it could be a good Autumn for my Red Flash.
    I also rather like the colours now tbh.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Nearly a month on and at least my Red Flash is behaving as it should.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

28th September 2020 and after a few days of cold it's going to be warm again. 20° C. Strange year !!! Blue skies behind my Red Flash and I thought a different look for a photo today.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

16th October 2020 and now my Red Flash returns to the reds it is known for. The lovely early sun helps show this one off.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

23rd October 2020 and a very bright early morning sun on my Red Flash leaves just couldn't be wasted in not taking a photo and sharing.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

24th October 2020, yes it's the next day but the rain and sun before the gale force winds that are forecast later today, meant I had to take this one and share..

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

29th October 2020 and my 30 year old Red Flash is doing what it always does best. Makes me smile!!! Even in the heavy rain when I took this moments ago.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

1st November 2020 and a lovely blue sky first thing, but only a few leaves left on my Red Flash. Quite cheerful though !!!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

24th January 2021 and I wanted to take this photo and share to show snow and new swelling buds on my Red Flash.
    Hope you agree it was worth it.
    Red flash 310.JPG

13. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and as the last photo in January of my Red Flash was covered in snow, I tried to get a close up of the new buds to show that they do survive. Not the best of photos, but you get what I am trying to point out.
    Red flash 714.JPG

14. Acerholic

19th Apr 2021 and after just 20 days since my last posting, here is my Red Flash.
    I'll let the photo speak for itself.

Not bad though after two weeks of frosts.
    Red flash 197.JPG

15. Acerholic

23rd April 2021 and my Red Flash after it's now regular spraying at 0530hrs each day this Spring. Almost non stop overnight frosts for all of April. Urghhh.
    Rred Flash 190.JPG

16. Acerholic

26th May 2021 and my Red Flash in all it's glory. When the wind blows the brighter underneath the leaves flash a wonderful scarlet.
    Red Flash 240.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. Acerholic

2nd June 2021 and a close up this time of my Red Flash leaves. It's a 30 year old tree in my garden and I got it as a 3 year old, so it's very established now.
    Red Flash 249.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

21st June 2021 and my Red Flash is loving all this rain we are having atm.
    Red Flash 272.JPG Red Flash 273.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

8th July 2021 and my Red Flash is still wet, what a Summer...
    Red Flash 296.JPG

20. Acerholic

17th April 2022 and the season gets underway on my old Red Flash. Always looks nice looking up through the branches at this time of year when it starts to leaf out.
    Red Flash April 15th 2022 (2).JPG Red Flash April 15th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Acerholic

9th May 2022 and my 15ft tall Red Flash is fully open now. Some lovely leaves appearing.
    Red Flash May 9th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  22. Acerholic

15th May 2022 and I wanted to show that it's not always direct on to view a maple that makes it beautiful. Underneath looking up to the sunshine can be so lovely.
    Red Flash May 14th 2022 (2).JPG Red Flash May 14th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  23. Acerholic

21st October 2022 and just an update on my 35 year old Red Flash. It died in August during the 40 degree heat and prolonged drought conditions.