Acer palmatum 'Red Dragon'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by swanny, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    So many people on the forum love this cultivar, all season long performer.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  2. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    My favourite in my garden today. Red Dragon just loves the sun.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  3. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    This little beauty just loves the early sun. And yes the reds are as bright as this. My camera actually dulls the colours!!
    I know there are a couple of UK members who have this one on their to buy lists. I think the reasons are plain to see !!

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  4. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    A break in the cloud, so my Red Dragon performed.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and the weather is hot, but an early dew is making my maples look pretty. Red Dragon is my favourite in my garden today, with the drooping leaves from the weight of the moisture.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  6. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and its 25° C. After discussing Red Dragon last night I thought I would take a photo this morning to add.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  7. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO. What a glow Red Dragon gives off with a little sun also.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  8. Acerholic

10th October 2020 and Red Dragon is still giving and giving in my garden. Do get this cultivar if you have a space. You will not regret it.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  9. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and my Red Dragon had a few leaves catching the early morning sun, so I had to share it.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

22nd October 2020 and a mixture of reds on my Red Dragon give it a lot of interest. The branching is also a lovely feature on this cultivar.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

4th November 2020 and the first frost of this Autumn has arrived, so with the few left that have got leaves in my garden, here is my Red Dragon being weighed down by the cold.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Now this one is a very special cultivar if you like deep red highly dissected leaves.
    It's the 1st of April today and I am so worried about the frosts coming over the weekend. These lovely shoots just look so delicate.
    Red dragon 716.JPG

13. Acerholic

7th April 2021 and a very hard overnight frost -5°C . Will these leaves survive!!?
    I will update the thread over the coming days as so many are talking about the effects of this harsh Spring weather on our maples.
    Red Dragon 183.JPG

14. Acerholic

15th April 2021 and after some requests, here is my Red Dragon a few minutes ago. Yes it is getting regular twice daily spraying with rain water, but I think it would probably cope without it. I'm not taking a chance BTW, Lol.
    Red Dragon 190.JPG

15. Acerholic

27th April 2021 and this is IMO one of the very darkest of the dissectums. I have mine close to a White feather Hosta to give contrast. But obviously this has not come up just yet.
    Red dragon 205.JPG

16. Acerholic

24th May 2021 and at last my Red Dragon has leafed out completely. The rain drops and sunshine this morning made it even more special to look at.
    Red dragon 237.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Red dragon has survived its first winter in the ground and is doing very well. I love the spring colour and its growing quite vigorously.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

10th June 2021 and my Red Dragon in the morning sunshine is a happy place for me.
    Red dragon 260.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

28th June 2021 and my Red Dragon at its Summer best now. Red dragon 282.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

8th July 2021 and after some overnight showers my Red Dragon was looking quite nice, so I thought I would share.
    Red dragon 296.JPG Red dragon 296 (2).JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

20th April 2022 and I just love it when this one starts to leaf out. The deepest of dark reds. Perhaps suitable for M @maf thread !!?
    Red Dragon 20th April 2022.JPG

maf and D97x7 like this.
  22. Acerholic

27th May 2022 here it is now in full leaf. I wanted to show the intracies of a very special cultivar IMO. So a close up photo today.
    Red Dragon 27th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  23. GardenCycles

GardenCycles Member

The first acer palmatum I ever bought. After reading info in Japanese maples 4th edition and this forum I decided this was the one. Of course it never stops with one and many cultivars have followed. I love it and want encourage a bonsai-ish style of pruning. Hopefully many happy years together.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

21st October 2022 and my Red Dragon is giving quite a nice show.
    Red Dragon 21st October 2022.JPG

LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  25. Acerholic

5th May 2023 and my Red Dragon has been slow to start, but getting going now.
    PXL_20230504_151354380.jpg

AlainK and GardenCycles like this.