Acer palmatum 'Peve multicolor'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, May 26, 2005.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I was told this is a cultivar discovered in Eastern Europe. I have planted it in the ground in dappled shade and I am observing it this first season. It looks like a combination between 'Peaches and cream' and 'Ukigumo'. There are other pics at Esveld's website.

Attached Files:

2. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,
    Nice Looking Cultivar! Really has a unique look.

You are really making me jealous with some of your cultivars.

I guess i am going to have start looking into trying to get some sent from over there.

Does anyone have experience with ordering from outside the US. Is there a quaritine policy. Anyone in the US ordered from Esveld?

Gomero once we get our trees to a good size i would love to sawp some scion stock for grafting.

Thanks
    Mike

3. Gomero

Mike
    thanks for the compliments.
    Scions are ok to swap since they do not contain dirt.
    If you go to Esveld's website you may read their shipping conditions to the US. Apparently, and after talking to him, my understanding is that any living plant shipped to the US has to be washed bare of any dirt by a USDA certified 'cleaner' before packing. This is an expensive operation and worthwhile only for very large orders. Taking into account this treatment it is not surprising that they do not give any guarantee.
    Regards,
    Gomero

4. Gomero

Browsing this thread I notice that the pics I posted in 2005 do not show what this cultivar has to offer. In my garden it has taken a few years to display its full potential.
    It is in morning sun and afternoon shade. It burns easily and is quite sensible to pseudomonas.

The spring colors are unique, I am not aware of another cultivar with which it could be mixed up. The pics were taken last week (early April). Then in the summer the pinks disappear and the whole plant is like the bottom in the pics: dark green veins and edges agains pale green, almost white, leaf. Fall colors not remarkable (like 'Higasa yama'), but then it was selected for the spring display.

And, lastly, it was not selected in Eastern Europe as I stated. It was selected by a Dutch nurseryman, whose name I have forgotten, who introduces a lot of new cultivars , in several different genus, but always with the 'pevé' trademark attached to the name (try a web search and you'll find out).

Gomero

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. 01876

01876 Active Member

Here are some photos of my recent purchased Peve Multicolor spring folige; it looks more greenish and less whitish than Gomero’s. This potted interesting plant lives on my deck where it receives full sun, I think that’s probably why it shows less intense variegation. I may need to relocate it as the season progress. I am very pleased with it. Thank you, Gomero, for introducing this unique cultivar to UBC maple forum.

Attached Files:

6. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mind letting us know the source of your plant. Looks like a winner.

Keith

7. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi Keith,

I found it on eBay several weeks ago, he told me there were limited plants at that time.
    Good luck,
    Joe

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can see why it got its name - I'd be peeved if someone dumped one of those on my garden . . . looks nearly as badly diseased as that Acer ginnala 'Wasteland Dwarf' or whatever it was called ;-)

9. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hmm. What's in the water this week that suddenly we're calling other people's beloved plants ugly? First in the "mistery" thread (I confess, I was guilty, too) and now here. May I suggest a bit more restraint?

10. Gomero

Something astonishing happened this spring, my 'Pevé Multicolor' has morphed into a different tree!!!
    Since I bought it in 2005 it has shown the same beautiful reticulation year after year without any sign of greening in any of its branches, and lo and behold, this spring it has leafed out all green, not a single reticulated leaf, and with leaves which are much smaller and with different shape than previously. It is as if someone had changed the tree during the winter.....
    I was familiar with catastrophic greening out of variegated cultivars ('Taimin nishiki', 'Fujinami nishiki',..) but not of reticulated cultivars. I will wait another season to assess reversibility.

Gomero

Attached Files:

11. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,

I am not sure that you recall your last visit to my garden back a few years ago. You had mentioned that the Peve Multicolor that I had was not correct and possibly mismarked as it showed little to no variegation on the leaves. The next year pictures are below.

I am not entirely sure what effects the changes in some cultivars to cause them to change their display but I have often seen this Ukigumo as well. About three years ago both of my established Ukigumos showed no variegation at all. At my May gathering almost every attendee from the east reported the same experience with their Ukigumos.

Ed

Attached Files:

12. Gomero

Well, thank you for the encouragement Ed, ;-)) I'll see next year.
    I would also love to understand what's going on

Gomero

13. Gomero

Ed was correct. My 'Peve multicolor' looks wonderful again this year (see pic below) with the best variegation ever! The 'Ukigumos' are also breathtaking.
    These cultivars then show a unique behavior, they can lose all their variegation one year only to fully recover it the following year. This is an important information to share lest some disgruntled grower cut the tree down seeing that the variegation has disappeared.

Gomero

Attached Files:

14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 'Peve Multicolor'! This cultivar is crazy. It leafs out beautiful then if it doesn't like something it will let you know. Then it seems to bounce back like nothing happened.

This is the look once it has bounced back from whatever it didn't like doing mid spring. Looking great so far. I also added some wire to establish a leader.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As D @LoverOfMaples has just posted his, I thought after our discussions I would add mine from this morning.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Today's photos 26th July 2020 are for D @LoverOfMaples, showing what is to come soon from his lovely specimen. Multicolour is a very good name for this cultivar.

Attached Files:

17. LoverOfMaples

Mine is so finicky @Acerholic. I'm afraid to put it in the sun. I'm definitely will try it in a few years.

18. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good afternoon D, I'm the same, Sooo protective, lol

19. Acerholic

Lots of sun and record high temperatures over the last week so I thought a couple of photos of my Peve Multicolour to show how this cultivar copes. Giving me a lot of colour in my garden.

Photos taken today 1st August 2020.
    More to follow this month.

Attached Files:

20. LoverOfMaples

Today I notice some new growth!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

22. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Thought I would add another couple of this one after our chat yesterday.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    Loving this one this morning, little bit of die back here and there but excusable in the circumstances.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    For this time of year not looking too shabby at all. Its loving the sun this morning in my garden.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Two photos showing amazing new growth. May not survive an early hard frost, but to be enjoyed now at least.

Attached Files: