Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Looks perfect next to the bamboo fencing. Something I expect you constructed Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Haha, that was a joy in itself. Each roll of that fencing is 2m long, weighs 35kg, and I needed to drag eight of them into place to finish the whole garden boundary. I'm a woman in my thirties so not the biggest or buffest: pure Yorkshire cantankerousness got that fencing up more than I did, I suspect.

(Thank you!)

3. Acerholic

Well done Xi, as we have all learnt over the years, it's not just the maples, but what you put around them that also counts.
    My wife says 'kudos' to you BTW.

Xi-feng likes this.
  4. Xi-feng

Everyone loves this bad boy in Autumn, but it's one of my favourites for the subtle colour changes all year long. Mine is already getting a nice pink flush of new growth, and some of the older leaves are getting subtle shades of rust and purple:
    20210522 Osakazuki-1.jpg 20210522 Osakazuki-2.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

I'm in full agreement with you there Xi. The subtle rust colours of Spring are also my favourite.

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. Acerholic

26th May 2021 and slowly but surely my Osakazuki is coming back after all the damage a couple of years back. Not there yet, but on the way thank goodness.
    Osakasuki 240.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  7. Xi-feng

My big guy is hidden away around the side of the house so I don't see him as much as the other trees - it's always a nice surprise when I catch a glimpse and remember just how pretty he is:

20210529 Osakazuki.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  8. Acerholic

I do like a garden that has hidden surprises, so your Osakazuki is perfectly placed Xi. And what a red glow in Autumn to look forward to.

Xi-feng likes this.
  9. Xi-feng

Leaves darkening slightly now:

20210604 Osakazuki.jpg

AlainK, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  10. Acerholic

That's interesting Xi. I have seen a few friends maples that are turning towards Autumn colours already. I think it's a sign of stress that was talked about in April when everything was late to leaf out due to all the frosts and now the heat. Do keep us all updated?

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

Yep, it's that good old British weather putting everyone and everything through the wringer -- my big Osakazuki is putting out a few strange almost autumnal leaves in places that don't look like new growth, so who knows what's happening there? Let's all keep one another posted!

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Definatly Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  13. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

My Osakazuki is still the runt of my maples this season. However, it’s not dead so this is good news.

The new growth is very pale looking though... should I be concern Acerholic? I did experience a lot of branch dieback last winter.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Good morning Connor, most of the leaves are looking as they should for Spring on Osakazuki, but the ones you are talking about are suffering from too dry conditions, together with hot afternoon sun. Maples are thin leafed trees and it takes very little to scorch the leaves. You may well get some die back on those branches and those leaves will go crispy and drop, but IMO as long as you check that the watering is correct, then you should get a second flush in a few weeks time.
    But don't give any feeds etc.
    I can't see the base of the tree, but if you don't have a mulch, then do consider doing this. I have found over the years that Osakazuki really does benefit from this. Then give it a good soaking once a week, or even twice if your weather conditions are very dry and hot.
    Next year, make sure you water in March/ April when it is trying to leaf out. So many maples suffer at a later date if they are too dry during this period.

D

15. Acerholic

14th June 2021 and my Osakazuki is starting the second flush already. Not sure how it will cope with the very high temperatures today, but we will see.
    Osakasuki 265.JPG

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Mine, like other "green" maples are already showing red tinges, a sign they're suffering from the heat ?...

acerp-o-sakazuki_210614a.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

The stress is definatly showing there Alain. Hopefully the rain coming in a couple of days, along with slightly cooler temperatures will revitalise it.

18. AlainK

Storms are forecast in the night of June 16th. I'm not sure there will be that much rain, you never know with "stormy weather", it can pour like hell for 15 minutes, or nothing but thunder in the distance...

19. Acerholic

We have the same, but the precipitation is quite low. Fingers crossed we do get a good soaking.

AlainK likes this.
  20. Acerholic

21st June 2021 and all the wet weather us encouraging some lovely new growth this morning.
    Osakasuki 272.JPG

21. Xi-feng

My big lovely guy got very sun-scorched and almost all the leaves fried, which is so sad when I look back at the pics I posted back in May... it's not down for the count yet, though, and is putting out some new spring-coloured leaves:

20210828 Osakazuki-1.jpg 20210828 Osakazuki-2.jpg

On the other hand my little guy has held up well all year, and is starting to turn towards copper tones and autumn:

20210828 Osakazuki-3.jpg 20210828 Ozakazuki-5.jpg 20210828 Ozakazuki-6.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I noticed a wound on my Osakazuki today, it’s farther up the tree, well above the graft union.

Im wondering if I should be worried or just let it do it’s thing?

Attached Files:

23. AlainK

The base of this branch looks thinner, and weaker than the top part. There may be a risk of it snapping in case of strong wind or snow. If it doesn't ruin the design of the tree, I would probably suggest to prune it. What's more, it looks like it's the result of either a wound, or cuts, that didn't heal well or some kind of fungal infection (or both).

24. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Came across this picture from a few years ago, sadly no longer with us.
    FB_IMG_1629476553459.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

But lovely memories N.

D97x7 likes this.