Acer palmatum 'Orange hagoromo' or 'Hanezu hogoromo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a recent introduction from Japan. I am not 100% sure but I think it was selected at 'Tsukasa Maples' (please someone corrects me if not true). Initially it was named 'Hanezu hagoromo' but my understanding is that 'Orange hagoromo' is now preferred.

The new leaves appear with orange/yellow hues and red edging, then becoming full orange/yellow. Unfortunately this does not last for very long as the leaves turn green quickly. Maybe with more sun (this plant receives morning sun only) the orange/yellows will last longer; I'll try that next season. Fall colors as for 'Hagoromo'.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

oh very nice!

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A nice and interesting cultivar for sure, but I am a little confused by the naming.

My understanding was that it is not considered legitimate to mix Japanese and English in the cultivar name, which, if true, makes 'Orange hagoromo' invalid. See the discussion of 'Chishio improved' in Vertrees/Gregory 3rd edition for example.

As a side note Maillot lists 'Beni hagoromo', which is a crimson form with 'hagoromo' type leaves.

4. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,

I have been waiting for this plant to become available here in the US. It is shown on the All Things Acer (Don Shadow Nursery) catalog and is listed as a cultivar that will be available in the future. They list the cultivar as 'Hanezu Hageromo' in their catalog and on the plant list. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I have been given a peach colored hageromo leaf form cultivar from for evaluation and the cultivar name has been registered in the UK as Acer Palmatum 'Verkade's Jacus Potus'. The plant I have is a new graft and is too small to make any determinations yet. I did notice at the nursery that this seemed to hold the peach color into the summer.

Ed

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in "the maple forum" there are a pics of the cultivar V.J. Potus by the nursery that select this new cultivar is also available a little history

6. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Alex,

Dave is the source of my small plant.

Ed

7. Gomero

Being a new introduction that many enthusiasts are keenly watching, I'd like to keep the forum informed on Orange hagoromo (or Hanezu hagoromo or whatever it will be called) behaviour. Colors this spring (second year in the garden) are much better than last year, the orange is really there and the irregular leaf shapes add interest; I can't wait to see the tree after 4-5 years!.
    The main question I have is for how long the orange will be present, I have two plants and one is in half shade and the other in (almost) full sun to see the difference.

Gomero

8. Gomero

And here are the pics taken today (the one in almost full sun)

Gomero

Attached Files:

9. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

Fred (All Things Acer ) Don Shadow ) does have several 'Hanezu hagoromo' in #3's . What up Ed ?