Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Or a more protected spot !!? Orange Dream does need protection from frosts, wind, sun. Well almost everything actually. It is a bit precious, Lol.
    Yours is doing very well Xi, so please don't beat yourself up about it.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Thanks D - funny you say that, I spent what felt like a very long time this evening dragging it round to my more sheltered side-garden. Given that between tree and pot and soil it must weigh almost half I do and I had to pull and push it inch by inch around two sides of the house I expect I'll be feeling THAT in the morning, but hopefully it will be a bit happier. I just wish it would be a bit more orange per the name, but I understand it needs sun to do that and then it fries (haha, no winning really...)

3. Acerholic

Good morning Xi, so how are the aches and pains ? Hope its not too bad. But it will be worth it, to have your Orange Dream getting the morning sun and afternoon shade to give you the lovely colours and no frying.
    Gardening is hard work to get the picture you want, but once you have done it, there is that warm feeling of satisfaction when you stand back and admire your finished product, don't you think?
    Well done !!

Xi-feng likes this.
  4. Xi-feng

That's very true, D, and hopefully it'll be happier in its new spot (the aches haven't hit yet, which I'm very surprised about. Perhaps I'm stronger than I thought!) Let's see how it goes :)

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

18th June 2021 and after the intense heat of the past two weeks, I wanted to show how my Orange Dream coped. Not too bad IMO.
    Orange dream 272.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Update: back on June 2

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Lots of shade, perfect D.

8. Acerholic

24th June 2021 and the much discussed Orange Dream. As I said to others, "give it shade and it will perform well".
    Orange Dream 277.JPG

Xi-feng and LoverOfMaples like this.
  9. Acerholic

2nd July 2021 and my Orange Dream is having a very good year. New growth also.
    Orange Dream 289.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Orangre Dream' that gets the sun from 11 to 14 (in a shallow pot) :

acerp_orangedream01_210917a.jpg

Another one, in almost full shade and in a "regular" pot :

acerp_orangedream03_210917a.jpg

D97x7, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  11. LoverOfMaples

'Orange Dream'

Pic taken November 17 (night)
    Planted early fall

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  12. Xi-feng

Let's try again with this guy: hope he makes it through the year more healthily than the previous two years! Looking good so far....

20220320 Orange Dream.jpg

13. LoverOfMaples

@Xi-feng are the branches against the bricks?

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Xi-feng

It's in a pot against the house (the only place it was protected from enough wind last year!) so some of them are - oddly the branches against the bricks are the healthier-looking ones: the ones are still bare and looking quite reluctant to bud out. It's a weird, uncooperative specimen, that's for sure! :)

15. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

this is the page of the my catologe Fratelli Gilardelli italian nursery -Giordano Glardelli is the fahter of the cultivar Orange dream (no copyrigth the nursery is closed ,and the pics have more than 30 years )is in italian language -a little transalte:
    new shoots orange ->brillant yellow like straw. this cultivar have your best time in spring,leaves in expo total shade turning ligth green.this cultivar not love expo full sun,not vigorous ,it have a shrub habitat multistemmed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  16. AlainK

I didn't know it was an Italian find. It's ubiquitous now.

I'll post a photo of my 'O.D.' bonsai tomorrow.

PS : I can understand 99% of the text. I regret I had to give up learning Italian because of various reasons, but I'll register again last year to the "University of Free Time" (politically correct for courses for old bags, huh huh...)

alex66 likes this.
  17. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Fratelli Gilardelli nursery born with the business of the Morus alba .the leaves of the Morus was is the food for caterillar in silk industry .the silk it was the material for airplane wings -after the WW2 Giordano meet the Japanese maple and growing many maple and select some cultivar like Fire Glow,Jordan ,Orange Dream,Summer Gold-is the gold period for the english garden in Italy the famous garden man Russel Page realize many big garden in Italy and the japanese maple are from Gilardelli-with the new tecnology Gilardelli remains stationary with the modern language ,remain 1.0 and the nursery was closed 4 years ago.... :(

18. Acerholic

3rd April 2022 and starting to leaf out. I think the overnight frosts have knocked it back, but fingers crossed all will be well.
    Orange dream April 2022.JPG

19. LoverOfMaples

Look who's showing their true colors!

Attached Files:

AlainK, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

And smiling in that photo shoot D. Love it !!!

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  21. Acerholic

13th May 2022 and my last photo showed some droopy early leaves. But it is now looking so nice and enjoying this weather. Not too hot and not too cold.
    Orange Dream May 13th 2022.JPG

22. Acerholic

24th May 2022 and atm a perfect year weather wise for my Orange Dream. But let's see how it progresses.
    Orange Dream 24th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Acerholic

31st May 2022 and my Orange Dream going mad with growth this year.
    Orange Dream 31st May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  24. Purple_storm

Purple_storm New Member

Dear OD lovers,

I've recently acquired a mature OD near London, UK. We call it our "Big Dream". It's been kept in a big plastic pot for the past 12 years, facing North (see pic). Over the years, some inch-thick woody roots have grown out of the pot, under the paving, looking for water. I know we're not supposed to transplant trees in the Summer but we didn't have any other option. When the traders removed "Big Dream" from it's original location, they just cut off all the roots that were sticking out of the pot.

The new location is East-facing. We have prepared a planting hole twice the size of the pot and filled it with ericaceous compost/soil/grit plus Mycorrhizal fungi. We have also cut off the base of the pot (see pic, woody roots!) before burying it into the ground. To reduce transplant shock, I have thinned it out.

It's been 3 weeks since the move. Big Dream is still alive, but the leaves are starting to get a bit crispy. Because of the current extreme/unusual Summer heat (up to 35'C/95F and even 39'C/102F), we are watering it every day.

Should we take out the plastic pot now or wait til autumn? Any advice on how to keep it alive would be much appreciated.

Thank you! Ed

Big dream, original location.jpg Big Dream, severed roots.jpg Big Dream, new location, still in pot.jpg Big Dream, new location.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  25. AlainK

Wow! That's a big dream!

If you already know where to plant it, I think you should do it now. "Slip-potting" it until Autumn or Spring seems a difficult task, but the pot looks so small compared to the canopy that, knowing it's in a new environment, I think it'll suffer if the weather is dry and hot (as it is here).

Have you buried the pot in the soil ? If so, that's a very good solution until repotting time, when you can trim the rootball a bit. I'm pretty sure it will survive even if it loses a few leaves this summer.

A great tree. And it's the first time I've seen one with an orange. Don't swallow the seeds, plant them ! ;0)

Purple_storm and LoverOfMaples like this.