Acer palmatum 'Ojishi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by krautz33, Aug 15, 2008.

1. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I like this type of leaf. Good fall color

Krautz

Attached Files:

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

October 2008

Attached Files:

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

this monster Ojishi came in last week. It is a good 8' tall.

Attached Files:

4. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Charlie,

What is the soil mix like in trees that are growing so robustly? Is there a generous fraction of time release fert in there?

Gil

5. amazingmaples

Gil

I do not know all the secrets of how they get the trees so big but I can say, they do use fertizalizer. The soil is a compost and bark which drains well. I have been told the weather has the big impact, in that it warms up early in the year, it does not get to hot, it stays warm late into fall and they have plenty of water.
    All I know is I am always amazed at the size of the trees I keep finding. This Ojishi is great. I will not get to see its fall color in my yard.

6. amazingmaples

This tree has an intersting growth habit. Lots of people comment about it but most people like the looks of shishigashira a little more.

Attached Files:

7. amazingmaples

Here is the early spring color for 2012. The leaves have very nice lime green with a little red on the margins

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
  8. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Ojishi is the slowest grower I have. It was tiny when I got it 8 years ago and has certainly gotten bigger but it is still quite small. A real dwarf. Otherwise it is quite reliable and does fine in sun or shade in a container or in the ground.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    ROEBUK and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO good evening M, I love the chartreuse green leaf of the Lion counterpart to Shishigashira. I don't see it very often, so yours is very welcome on the forum.
    2012 was the last posting by Charlie, ( very sadly missed on the forum btw).
    It will take many years to fill out the space you have given it. But still looks really good!!!

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

They are out there , seem to think people prefer it's counterpart mainly because of it's growth rate compared to the Ojishi which is not noted for strong growth but still a nice cultivar non the less, mine does far better in a container for colours have had it in the ground twice over the numerous years but very dull come the fall hence the container it now lives in permanently.

Attached Files:

D97x7, MapleMO and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, is that dull M !!!???? Though compared to a lot of yours it probably is !!

12. MapleMO

Thanks for the heads up. It has only been in the ground one fall so if it doesn’t colour up anymore the coming years, I might put it in a pot again also.

13. ROEBUK

No D this is what i call dull, same tree ten years back in the ground :)

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

@ROEBUK I see what you mean M. The difference is amazing. Is this down to your soil ? Compared to your potting mix. Or the restriction of the roots or positioning ?
    I find the opposite down here, in the ground is more colourful.

15. ROEBUK

This was in a fairly shady spot and was reasonable , remember i have very shale'y ground which the trees love but since i finally decided to keep it in a container i find i get a more yellow/golden colour which i like the more , just trying to get it to colour up and look like it's counterpart ha ha !! have a picture somewhere of them both together will see if i can find it Saying that it's due for it's re pot as well this fall noticed the roots are getting a bit prominent now round the inside of the pot. More work !!

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, Wow !!!! Who needs the sun when you have that in your garden.

ROEBUK likes this.
  17. ROEBUK

Always the last to colour out 3rd week in November every year with out fail, once this drops the season is officially closed in Yorkshire , then starts the work for next year and the list is getting longer :(

18. ROEBUK

Get the sun on this cultivar and they fair shine brightly , remember buying this from Packhorse farm when i first started out with maples , 8ltr pot eighteen inch tall and £24 it's just over 10 foot tall now , don't do any work on it apart from removing some dead wood now and then in the winter and that's it looks after itself very well.

19. Acerholic

A very good advert M @ROEBUK for anybody considering buying this cultivar. I think M @MapleMO is very well pleased with the tree he now has. This has been a great thread today. Enjoyed it.

ROEBUK likes this.
  20. MapleMO

She has now ;-), but yes I am looking forward to the tree getting a bit bigger and hopefully with lovely fallcolour.

21. Acerholic

@MapleMO good morning M, look forward to seeing both trees in the Autumn. It has a stunning colour and it will be interesting to compare pot and ground grown.

22. MapleMO

My Ojishi is doing very well and is small but sturdy. No problems with full sun or hard frosts. You do not have to do anything really, just put it in the ground and enjoy it. Some pictures from fall last year to this spring.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Hardy and beautiful M, what else could one want with a maple!!

MapleMO likes this.
  24. GardenCycles

GardenCycles Member Maple Society

Ojishi shimmering in the evening sun. Sunlight and maples leaves are perfect companions

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.