Acer palmatum 'Nigrum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Cearbhaill, May 18, 2013.

1. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Member

So hows about some nice photos of a Nigrum!

This was one of my first JM's when I moved to this property in '07- the first photo is the day it went in and the rest are current.
    I have learned a lot about JM's since then and have added many more popular varieties, but my Nigrum remains one of my favorites.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my new Nigrum, only small as only had it for 10 months. Not too deep burgundy red yet, but the Autumn colours are fantastic. (See last photo).
    A lot of people ignore this one, as I did for many years, but am now so pleased I have it in my collection.
    Photos are from Spring, Summer and Autumn in my garden.

D

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. Acerholic

This cultivar Acer palmatum 'Nigrum' is often overlooked by friends in my garden, until I point it out. IMO it is a beautiful dark variety that should be used to accompany other lighter coloured maples or other plants to fully appreciate it. Next to a Jordan or Orange Orange Dream for example!!!
    These are it's leaves in July, just starting to turn. I would not worry about full sun at all. It can cope well.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

What a funny little tree this is. The leaves can sometimes look very dark indeed and other times like this on the 27th July 2020, they have that green and purple haze to them. But it is important to record the different mannerism's of a cultivar.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

1st August 2020, now this cultivar is coming into it's own, so to speak.
    A few people have asked me, "why did you buy this one"?
    I think the answer is in this morning's photo.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Again apologies for not keeping this one up to date through the Summer. It is now on my to photo list.
    It's doing rather well IMO.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    My Nigrum is darkening day by day. Expecting an amazing deep crimson red this Autumn.
    Will it be as deep as my Musashino !!!

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    Well the dark leaves are disappearing fast now ready for Autumn that isn't too far away. Quite pretty colours emerging on my Nigrum.
    Photo 23rd August 2020.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    An ultra close up as requested a couple of days ago. What will the next few weeks bring to the leaves on my Nigrum !!

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    Quite a few now interested in purchasing this cultivar. Possibly this photo might just convince.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Dew again and Oh how the colours are changing. Just love the transition phase on my maples.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth. I do think that some look better than others with rain on the leaves and my Nigrum is one of them.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and this what to expect with Nigrum at this time of the year.. the keaves will brown and drop very soon now. The colours are not everybody's cup of tea, but I like them.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and my first posting of my Nigrum this year shows very healthy buds.
    Nigrum 7144.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  16. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and it's taken a while to get started, probably as it's been so very cold, but here it is, one of the darker red maples I have.
    Nigrum 201.JPG

17. Acerholic

18th May 2021 and now my Nigrum has leaves open. Sooo dark!!!
    Nigrum 230.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  18. Acerholic

29th May 2021 and after a PM last night asking about my darkest Red, I thought a photo would do nicely. Hope that has shown the colours for you P.
    Nigrum 244.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  19. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and I'm posting this to show how the deep reds keep their shade on my Nigrum.
    Nigrum 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

15th June 2021 and I love the moody purple reds of my Nigrum. Not everything has to be vivid colours IMO.
    Nigrum 267.JPG Nigrum 268.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Acerholic

4th July 2021 and after some talk about Nigrum a couple of days ago, here is mine this morning.
    Nigrum 291.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  22. Acerholic

17tn September 2021and my Nigrum has gone through many changes since my last posting. Gone are the very dark leaves of Summer to turn into a kaleidoscope of colours in the early morning dew. I couldn't stop lookin at it tbh.
    Nigrum 400.JPG

D97x7 and AlainK like this.
  23. Acerholic

16th April 2022 and here we go for my Nigrum. The leaves just glow when it has a morning dew.
    Nigrum Mid April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  24. Acerholic

21st April 2022 and a quick clip of my Nigrum, as this cultivar was talked about earlier as a candidate for the darkest by @Del, who I hope will add a photo of his to this cultivar photos thread.
    IMG_20220421_165512556.jpg

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

4th May 2022 and after some watering this morning, my Nigrum was looking quite a happy maple. Getting darker as well....
    Nigrum May 4th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.