Acer palmatum 'Murasaki hime'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Jul 27, 2011.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Purchased this from Greer Gardens last fall and it's definitely got a special place in my heart already. Such a pretty little tree and it will only get better with age. Seems to be fairly robust, as it's the only one of my JM's that has shown very little, if any, leaf burn with this insanely hot weather we've been having for the past 2+ months. Gets indirect sun until 10am, then mostly shade with dappled sun the rest of the day; I'm too scared to give it any more and risk burning it to a crisp.

According to Vertrees' book, the 'Murasaki hime' should be more purple, while the 'Murasaki kiyohime' is more green; since this little guy only showed purple/red around the edges of the new leaves in early spring, that led me to doubt what cultivar it truly was. However, after consulting with Harold Greer, he and I both believe it most likely is a 'Murasaki hime' as all the ones he knows of go green in the summer like the 'Murasaki kiyohime'. I'm waiting to see what the fall colours are... Either way, should make for a beautiful bonsai in time. :)

Attached Files: