Acer palmatum 'Momoiro koyasan'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Momoira koyasan over the last five weeks 1st pic starting on the 4/5/15 and then every Monday following the last two pics today, as usual beautiful colouration through out the weeks and it's now starting to change and aquire more of it's peachy hue in the central lobes which will become more prominent in the next few weeks.

Really stands out when the sun hits, must admit this gets better every year,a real eye catcher in the garden.

Not as much protection this year has i have moved a large Magnolia which gave around 70% shade,and it seems to be doing ok at this time, the other trees i placed around it seem to be giving adequate shade.

Attached Files:

Backcountry Dan and Davethefish like this.
  2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Very pretty!

Mine is just about green now, with most of the transition happening in the last week. Each leaf still has red edges. After it arrived it got very red/pink in the sun, but now that the horse chestnut canopy has leafed out it's in nearly all-day shade. Still a very pretty tree when it's green.

3. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

ROEBUK, your Acer palmatum 'Momoira koyasan' is looking sensational. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures. I just planted a small one and am looking forward to its spring display next year.

4. maplesmagpie

This is my Momoiro koyasan in the shade, mid-June. I was going to keep it potted in the shade, because I do really enjoy the form, leaves, an even the green leaf color, but now I'm thinking of moving it to a high-sun spot for next year. ROEBUK, your photos are just too tempting!

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Magpie, what color were the leaves when you got your tree, and how long have they been this color? Just curious as mine only gets some peachy-pink for a week or two when it first leafs out, then is solid green - doesn't matter if I have it in shade/dappled shade or a few hours of sun (haven't tried more than that yet).

6. maplesmagpie

When I got the tree they were the spring color-- very peachy-pink. The photo below (taken May 13) is the spring color, though it may have been a bit more pink the week before. They've been gradually fading to the color above, and have stayed like this for the last week or two. I have it in shade with a lot of indirect/reflected light, but who knows what this location would really do for the tree. I've found that trees rarely behave "typically" for their location on their first year, and instead seem to behave based on their light levels at the nursery that spring.

Next year I'm going to try it in almost full sun. I have a focal point in my garden that I though I would use for Corallinum, but I was sent a Seigai/Bonfire mistakenly and I'm just not that wild about the leaf shape. The Momoiro koyasan has a lovely leaf shape, and I like the form, so I think I'm going to try giving it the most prominent spot in the garden. I hope it likes it there and performs more like Roebuk's, but I won't know until next year. :)

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  7. maplesmagpie

...just wanted to add, I like the green! Many of the bright spring red/pink cultivars seem to get a very drab, almost army green leaf in the summer...like my new Seigai. :/ I love that the Momoiro koyasan gets a lighter, brighter leaf.

8. ROEBUK

Since i last posted pics two weeks ago my M/K has just seemed to have flurished and come on in leaps and bounds, the colours are now showing the very delicate pastel peach and you can see the definate demarcation lines on the leaves showing the red edgings more with the lighter centres.

The sun does not seem to be showing any signs of scorching, so quite pleased with this at the moment. So iv'e had a good 6 weeks showing now from this cultivar and hopefully should get quite a few more to come.

The sun has not really affected any of the trees up to press ,there again we don't recieve that much sun anyway, had one nice week just gone, but the highest temp we have had so far in the north is around the low 70s and thats poor for mid June.

But the trees are loving it!! some stunning colours up to press.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  9. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

Thank you, ROEBUK, for posting the great photos!

10. maplesmagpie

Beautiful! What is the bright orangeish tree in the distance in photo 1?

Please keep us updated on how the tree does in so much sun-- I'm very curious, and will change my M.k.'s planting based on how yours does this summer!

11. ROEBUK

Glad you like the pics will post more over the coming months, this has been in the same spot for over 5/6 years now and it always shows lovely colours.

Was a bit concerned this year as i moved a large Magnolia which always gave it plenty of afternoon shade, but moving the tree has not really bothered the M/K from what i have observed so far this year.

The tree you commented on is A/S Autumn moon see pic,have been trying to find a large one of these for years now and finally tracked one down,looks fantastic when viewed from the kitchen window,it appears to be coming out of the top of the Palmatifidum, and when the sun hits in the afternoon wow!! it fair glows.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  12. Jerry Norbury

Jerry Norbury Active Member

13. Davethefish

Davethefish Member

here's a couple of mine from last year and one taken just now...

?temp_hash=475a149685b75669ace00fa946143d38.jpg

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Davethefish, what a wonderful tree. Mine is very small atm, but seeing yours, I now look forward to it growing hopefully as well. Your photos would have been perfect on the 'CHEERING OURSELVES UP' thread'. If you have other photos please add them on that thread, I'm sure if they are anything like the ones you have shown today they will cheer a lot of maple lovers up.
    Here is my very small Momoiro Koyasan. 'Very young'.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  15. Davethefish

Davethefish Member

Hi Acerholic,
    i'll have a look for that thread thanks.
    your momoiro looks very nice, i have an osakasuzi that was little more than a 6" twig when i got it and it's about 5' now!
    they soon grow...

i was a bit lucky with my momoiro, i've had it about 4 years now and it was about 4ft when i got it.
    it was in a 'bargain corner'at the gardencentre with 75% off, as it had been left unwatered and all the leaves had gone brown and dried up.
    it looked dead but the stems were fine.
    next year it leafed out like new...

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Hi Davethefish, What a bargain you must be chuffed.

Davethefish likes this.
  17. Jerry Norbury

Jerry Norbury Active Member

Get yourself over to Boskoop - they're half that.

Davethefish likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Hi Jerry, agreed have ordered before from Lotta plants in Boskoop but they no longer sale maples.
    Just looked at your Bonsai photos, wow you have a wonderful collection. Photography must also be your passion, great photos!!
    Davethefish has just posted some great photos of his maples and garden on the 'Cheering ourselves up' thread. Definitely worth having a look. Post some of yours on the thread, I'm certain everyone would like to see them. The more the merrier. Thankyou.

Jerry Norbury likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Acer palmatum ' Momoiro Koyasan 'in my garden seems to do better in a lot of shade compared to others I have. It is best mainly in morning sun to little or no afternoon sun. Photos are from early Spring to today 14th July 2020.
    As this is a new cultivar for me ( only 3 years old), I will update with Autumn colour photos in October.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

August 2nd 2020 and I have 3 photos taken this morning of my Momoiro Koyasan. New growth, old leaves and Summer colour all in one day.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    This cultivar had held up brilliantly and I'm now hoping for some wonderful Autumn colours in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

22. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Second flush of growth after slip-potting in July :

acerp-momoiro_200921a.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  23. Acerholic

29th March 2021 and my first posting of this cultivar this year. It's looking like it's going to be a good year. The buds seem so fresh and healthy, so wonderful to see.
    Momoiro koyasan 714.JPG

24. Acerholic

4th April 2021 and even after a frost last night, the sun came up and my Momoiro Koyasan said, "I can cope with that".
    Momoiro koyasan 177.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  25. Acerholic

15th April 2021 and the spraying twice a day is still working well. -5° C last night btw.
    Momoiro koyasan 191.JPG