Acer palmatum 'Mikawa Nishiki'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I’m thinking of adding it to my collection but don’t see much information about it. The few pics I have seen look very pretty, but may have been digitally enhanced.

thanks.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Luke’s Maples good morning Luke. Hope your trees are OK after the storm.
    I don't have any experience with this one I'm afraid, but I've just read about it on Maillot and the thing that sticks out the most is UNSTABLE.
    Agreed it looks very pretty and I don't think they would enhance the photo, but as with others recently advertised, I am not sure at all if the varigation will last or even be there next year.
    I have just asked here about Ukigumo Nishiki from Hippopotering and tbh I cannot see enough of a difference to justify buying it, unless I hear from someone that it is so very different to Ukigumo.
    There are a lot on the market atm that are so similar to others, that the differances are almost nil. A lot that is going on is just marketing words.

Just thought I would add my thoughts Luke, hope you don't mind.

Ken Hamilton and Luke’s Maples like this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks D, I appreciate that. Yes I agree, it is hard to know which ones are worth getting hold of. I guess you can only go with your gut at the end of the day.

just had a look at it on MrMaple and they say it doesn’t revert but the level of variegation depends on conditions etc.

I’m not sure about this one...

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Luke’s Maples good morning Luke, yes there are a few out there atm that I feel the same about. 'Are they that different to what I already have. !!!!?.
    Though I have to agree with you, a Mikawa Yatsabusa in a varigated form sounds rather appealing.