Acer palmatum 'Metamorphosa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have had this one for 4 years now and although it does well in the Spring, it can suffer some leaf burn even in mild days. It is a compact low grower that is more akind to a shrub than a tree. If you do buy this one, then lots of protection is required.
    Lovely shades of various light yellows and pale greens can be obtained in the right conditions.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

4th August 2020 and my Metamorphosa has suffered with the heat and strong drying winds, but at last it's picking up a little. Now in full Summer greens. If you decide to purchase this one, then I would recommend treating it like Orange Dream and give it a lot of protection.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    What can I say about my Metamorphosa, other than urghhhh. The sun has really got to this one.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Amongst the carnage of the past few weeks of record temperatures, a few days rain follows and I have new growth on my Metamorphosa.
    A good root system will prevail every time.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. You can see the damage beneath, but I wanted to show today how the new growth can reinvigorate this maple.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Still recovering and shedding the burnt leaves, so looking a little strange. But rcovering it is.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    Still evaluating my Metamorphosa, as can be seen a lot of Summer leaf scorch below, but the new growth is rather pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Some early dew and my Metamorphosa is showing why it is called this.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and the colour change on my Metamorphosa is speeding up now.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

19th March 2021 and my Metamorphosa is living up to it's name.
    Metamorphosa 705.JPG

12. Acerholic

9th April 2021 and if there is any maple in my collection that is susceptible to extremes either way in temperatures, it's my Metamorphosa.
    So here it is after a couple of days after -7° C.
    Metamorphosa 184.JPG
    Not too bad atm IMO.

13. Acerholic

4th June 2021 and it's taken a while but now my Metamorphosa is out and looking very colourful.
    Metamorphosa 251.JPG

dicky5ash and D97x7 like this.
  14. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@Acerholic very helpful info…the leaves have this kind of matt soft texture..different to most other Palmatum cultivars..do you agree?

I’ll move mine to an even more sheltered spot..do you have a Oct/nov Fall colour photo? How big is your tree?

15. dicky5ash

10 June 21

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Good idea giving it a little more protection, it can struggle otherwise.
    Mine is only a couple of feet tall and no photos past September I'm afraid, as they just dropped.

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  17. Acerholic

26th June 2021 and my Metamorphosa is liking this weather atm.
    Metamorphosa 280.JPG

dicky5ash, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

1st July 2021 and I wanted to update my Metamorphosa as it is still enjoying this cool Summer weather we are having atm. New growth as well.
    Metamorphosa 288.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. dicky5ash

1 July 21 Looking good with strictly only morning sun.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good morning R. Those dark branches really sets this one apart from so many cultivars. Yours is looking wonderful.

dicky5ash likes this.
  21. Acerholic

11th July 2021 and my Metamorphosa is now putting out some lovely new leaves.
    Metamorphosa 299.JPG

dicky5ash likes this.
  22. dicky5ash

Mines defoliating…probably lost 25%...it only gets morning sun and couldn’t be in a more wind protected spot..I noticed the defoliation starting a few weeks back…very odd. I carefully slip potted when I purchased it..maybe it’s just 1st year blues..saving grace it’s leaving behind nice buds

23. Acerholic

30th April 2022 and my Metamorphosa has started for this year. It is a maple that takes a while to settle in a position. So I say to anybody considering this one, to give it 2 or 3 years to settle.
    Metamorphosa April 30th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  24. Acerholic

6th May 2022 and my Metamorphosa is actually metamorphosing so to speak. The yellows and greens change with every cloud that passes. I hope the heat does not affect it too much this year. It needs protection.
    Metamorphosa May 6th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  25. Acerholic

19th May 2022 and after a couple of PMs about this one, I have posted this to show how it is coping with this weather.
    Metamorphosa 19th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.