Acer palmatum 'Komachi hime'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by winterhaven, May 9, 2009.

1. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I ADORE this little tree. It was one of the very first to leaf out in spring, but that could have been because it was already starting to leaf out when I got in in the mail. However it has been a bright spot of color ever since. I'm posting some photos; although, I don't feel I have any that really do it justice. I planted some grass seed right in front of it trying to adjust the shape of the lawn and I can't get close enough to get a good leaf shot.

Diana at Topiary Gardens deserves a big shout out for the lovely tree she sent me. I LOVE that she puts the grafting date on the tree. I remember being pleasantly surprised how hold this tree was, but now I don't recall the age. I'll have to check the tag, but I think it was a three year graft. At any rate, THANK YOU DIANA!

This is her description of the tree from her site:
    Small light yellow-green leaves are edged with reddish orange in spring and turning dark green in summer. Fall color is reddish orange. Very dwarf and slow growing maple. As with most 'Hime' type, this tree forms a rounded busy habit 3 ft. by 3 ft. Good for bonsai, container planting and small gardens. Picture shown is of new spring growth. Sun/part shade in well-drained soil. Zone 6

Attached Files:

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Earlier photos were taken April 21, 2009. These were taken today, May 9, 2009.

Attached Files:

3. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

KomachiHime.jpg

From today April 11, 2010. 1st spring for me with this cv. An outstanding plant.

Keith

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Komachi hime is by far on of my favorite hime. The spring and fall color are some of the most vivid. This one is about 12' wide.

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

here is my Komachi hime spring 2011

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

here is my smaller Komachi Hime, one of my favorite himes

Attached Files:

7. amazingmaples

Every spring i will say te same thing, Komachi hime has some of the most vivid colors of the himes. I have it photo with a oto hime and a Komachi hime. I would like to get one with murasaki kiyohime and it and one with shishio hime and it. It is a bit hard since some of them are further leafed out than others.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. Sam268

Sam268 Member

here are 2 of my Komachi Hime,
    leaves just started to open up.

Attached Files: