Acer palmatum 'Kinran'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, May 4, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice weeping form of a small tree to 12' depending on soil, climate and culture. Fall color is a nice golden finishing up red. Kinran means woven with golden threads.

Attached Files:

2. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum Kinran

This crude photo gives an idea as to the mid Spring
    color I get on my Kinran. This shade of color will
    hold for me in a protected Western exposure until
    Summer.

Attached Files:

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is a new tree for me this year
    Kinran

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have owned Kinran for a few years now, but this is the first year I have grown it in full sun and the colouration seems much better for it. I find the mid-veins to be a golden colour rather than the green described by Mr Vertrees in his book, it does look as if the leaves have golden strings woven into them. I can't wait for a chance to observe the fall colour in its new location.
    Kinran.jpg

5. maf

Last year I took several photographs of 'Kinran' leaves throughout the growing season, and thought the pictures of the changing colours were worth sharing.

The plant I have shows the strongly defined midvein and flat leaf base described and photographed by J.D. Vertrees in the 2nd edition of "Japanes Maples", and also by Peter Gregory in the 4th edition. I have seen photos of "Kinran" on some American and Japanese websites that show a plant with similar colouration and prominent midvein but without the flat base to the leaf; possibly there are other slightly different clones with the same name - not surprising after nearly 300 years.

The leaves are approximately 6-7 cm in size and the midvein starts off a cream/gold colour and gradually changes to a bright green before the whole leaf greens out.

The first picture shows the newly emerged leaves and the last shows autumn colour. The four pictures inbetween show how the colour changes between spring and late summer. The name of each picture indicates the date it was taken.
    Kinran 24 April.jpg Kinran 22 May.jpg Kinran 9 June.jpg
    Kinran 30 June.jpg Kinran 30 July.jpg Kinran 28 October.jpg

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last year I moved my Acer palmatum 'Kinran' into full sun and it was very disappointing in that it was mostly green so the viens were not noticable. Last year I had the same problem with other red trees. My 'Kinrin' is about 8' tall and 10' wide and has been one of my favorite trees. I have it next to a Tsukushigata which makes for an interesting combination.

7. amazingmaples

This year the tree was moved to a new location. The leaves are just now opening. I would guess this will be the home for this tree.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

this year the tree has not had the great color of years it has been more on the green side and I have not seen the golden thread.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

This year my Kinran is coming out with the color i like.

Attached Files:

• 084.jpg
      084.jpg
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
  10. amazingmaples

Here is the color late summer 2012. i still did not see the great golden thread colors this year in the tree as i have seen in other years past.

Attached Files:

• 097.jpg
      097.jpg
      File size:
      319.8 KB
      Views:
  11. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

In late 2014 I ordered a Kihachijo, and it arrived just a couple weeks before frost so I planted it and left it alone. Last year it leafed out very red, then quickly faded to red-green. This didn't seem much like Kihachijo, but we'd had a very harsh winter and the plant was a new transplant, so I made a mental note to check on its coloration next year and let it settle in.

This year it leafed out red again, with pretty distinctive coloring indicating it was not Kihachijo. The nursery agreed, and it's possible they mixed it up with the next tree in their alphabetical listing-- Kinran. To me, it looks like Kinran.

They are sending a replacement, which is great because I've long wanted Kihachijo, but now I'm looking at the show Kinran is putting on and wondering-- is this typical? Because it's a stunning coloration. It's so much prettier this year than last.

Do any of you have both? What are your thoughts on both trees, in terms of seasonal interest, form (we have a long winter, so branch/tree form is important to me), and leaf color? I'm trying to decide if the Kinran should stay right outside my window (as it currently is), or if I should replace it with the intended Kihachijo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

28th March 2021 and my young Kinran"s buds are swelling very nicely now, I do love the pale colour of the branches on this cultivar.
    Kinran 713.JPG

13. Acerholic

21st April 2021 and nearly a month on since my last posting, here is my Kinran with those hairy appearance new leaves starting to open. It looks just so fragile, but this is a strong cultivar.
    Kinran 197.JPG

14. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and I just had to show this one leafing out. So spooky!!!
    Kinran 201.JPG

15. Acerholic

8th May 2022 and my Kinran's leaves are now fully open. It has taken longer this year, so I hope the Spring colours last it's usual time.
    Kinran 220.JPG

16. Acerholic

15th May 2021 and the leaves to my Kinran are changing very rapidly, so I thought it would be good to show this.
    Kinran 227.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. maf

Kinran makes a very satisfactory long term container plant, growing slowly and healthily if not over-potted or over fertilized. Mine seems to prefer to grow outwards rather than upwards and left to its own devices for many years has adopted a wide flat shape akin to a tabletop, around 75cm high by 150cm wide (2.5 x 5 feet). Full sun till around 3pm, photographs from 7th of July, leaf size up to 8cm long by 9cm wide.
    IMG_20210707_112441.jpg IMG_20210707_112538.jpg IMG_20210707_112616.jpg IMG_20210707_133315.jpg

Xi-feng, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

9th April 2022 and my Kinran is out of the starting blocks for another year.
    Kinran April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Acerholic

27th April 2022 and now the tell tell colours of my Kinran are showing off this morning.
    Kinran April 27th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  20. maf

Just about fully leafed out, 30th April 2022. The golden strings are subtle.
    IMG_20220430_170415.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

27th May and my Kinran is having a slow start this year. Probably a rest year.
    But the leaves are so pretty.
    Kinran 27th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  22. Acerholic

9th June 2022 and the shapes of my Kinran leaves are fascinating me this year. It is a cultivar that really gets better with age, however small !!
    Kinran 9th June 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  23. Acerholic

6th November 2022 and not many leaves, but what is there looked nice in the sunlight.
    Kinran 6th November 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

30th May 2023 and I'm having a lot of good growth on my Kinran this year.
    PXL_20230530_111336248.jpg PXL_20230530_111442339.jpg

25. Acerholic

23rd October 2023 and my little Kinran has turned.
    PXL_20231023_120806766.jpg PXL_20231023_120757764.jpg