Acer palmatum 'Keiser'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by gin-ger, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Here are a couple recent photos of my 20-25 year old container grown Acer palmatum 'Keiser'. The first is a close-up taken yesterday, july 17, showing the bronzy-red summer color. The second was early spring, emerging a beautiful true red. In the background is a 4 year old 'Orange Dream' which had just been planted in the ground. 'Keiser' must be an old variety that has fallen to the wayside as I haven't found any info on the web at all. A shame.....it is lovely & carefree.
    Ginger

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for sharing the photos. It is indeed unusual not to find any information about it.
    Did you plant it?, if yes where did you buy it from?. If not, how did you learn about the name?
    In the past I understand there were a lot of different names for what is called today A.p. 'Atrolineare' or 'Linearilobum Atropurpureum'

Gomero

3. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, Yes A.P. keiser belongs to the linearilobum group,it is quite an old cultivar, it fell out of favour, as it tended to revert to the species, it has been superseded by the likes of red pygmy, etc.. The connoisseur probably would have it in his collection! as origin of species, nice looking dog!

Ashizuru...

4. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Gomero.....
    I purchased this plant from a garden center/nursery where I worked. Way back then, we bought grafted maples as
    2 1/4 inch liners to pot up to gallons. Employees could buy the liners at cost. At the same time, I also got "Sango Kaku" and "Butterfly." They were my very first japanese Maples & the beginning of a life-long love affair!

Ashizuru.....
    thanks for the history. I must say, I've not had any problem with reverting. Yes, Jake is quite a handsome fellow, but a bloody terror in the garden! I've had to re-locate most of my maples to the front of the house for safety, not nearly as nice as the dappled shade of the back yard.