Acer palmatum 'Katja'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by lobsterpop, May 1, 2022.

1. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

this one starts out more orangey, finishes closer to red a shrubby tree, angular branching but less formal than others. i had seven of these, three in the wettish spot have done well, the others were in sandier soil. opens reddish orange in the spring, stay tuned...

another look at the same trees - 11-17 to 11-19 2023. amazing color, changes by the day and with the light, hard to catch in a photo but these are spot on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A new one to me, but I think I'm going to like it a lot. Such variations of reds and orange, what's not to be liked....

3. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

here she is just after bud break - the last few days...

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Now I remember it from Westonbirt.

5. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

this one's a keeper. not so formal but always looks sharp. Outer leaves now are chestnut red from the top but the entire appearance is copper in the morning sun - this has been consistent every year. This stand of katja really glows. I expect these will get really big in time.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, AlainK and Acerholic like this.