Acer palmatum 'Kagero'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by chimera, Nov 5, 2007.

1. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

A. palmatum 'Kagero' {gossamer}, Vertrees' 2nd edition. H 15' x W 21' {H 5m. x W 7m.}. In full sun, well branched, and easily grown. Pic 1 -Oct.17/07. Pics 2 and 3 - Oct.28/07. Pic 4 - Oct.30/07. Pic 5 - Nov.5/07.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Variegation is not obvious from your pics, but it is a fine looking tree
    The solid yellow leaves are very striking
    Have you tried growing this one from cuttings?

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

As chance would have it Guy Maillot recently sent me a picture of kagero, from his website I assume. It shows a beautiful variegation. He says (my translation from French): "In Europe there is an enormous mix up, thus the kagero for sale everywhere is not variegated although the real one is splendidly splashed with yellow. See attached."

I hope the attached shows the true form, and apologize to M. Maillot for using his words and picture without permission.

-E

Attached Files:

4. whis4ey

That pic is more like I would have expected Emery
    I don't see the plant listed anywhere in Europe that I have checked
    Have you a source?

5. emery

6. whis4ey

Thanks Emery .. I will have a look
    Disappointed to hear about the seeds, but, as you say, maybe next year .....

7. chimera

No Sam, haven't tried cuttings, but maybe it would show it's noted characteristics better on it's own roots. Haven't noticed any variegation similar to the pic posted by Emery. Would be very happy if it developed those variegations, maybe with time. Expect the tree may not be showing it's variegation because of rootstalk or the soil being too fertile. Wondering if it is one of those that starts easily from cuttings, maybe next year, or possibly worth air layering. Included pic # 2 is from mid September, but maybe just early fall colour, although it seemed to be just the new growth being yellow and later the new growth was more reddish as previously pictured #2 {temperature ?}. Didn't put it up before because of poor quality. Believe it's labeled properly, but haven't seen any others with which to compare it . Some refererence to it in this thread www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7607 and Andre mentions "Kagero = very fine". Looking at Emery's pic , would think it might be better placed in shade to avoid burning, although the leaves do seem to be of good texture and no burning noticed here, and probably best planted in less fertile ground than the tree shown here. Nice selection available over there. Maybe someone more experienced would have some suggestions for growing this tree. Pic 1- Oct.5/07.

Attached Files:

8. whis4ey

Well I have been tempted enough to admit that I have just ordered a Kagero from Guy Maillot
    We will see how it goes next spring and will keep you advised :)

9. chimera

Was thinking you might be deciding on a good location for it, beautiful pics on Maillot's site.

10. emery

On the subject of Maillot, I didn't order Kagero on this occasion but I certainly might next year, the picture is compelling! But I can report that I ordered from him for the first time this fall; the plants arrived in good order (well packed, etc). I have a concern about a couple visavis health but it is too early to tell; but he is certainly honest and well intentioned: one of the plants was clearly not true to type, he immediately apologized and issued a refund. More than this one cannot ask, so I certainly can make a (qualified) recommendation, and I look forward to a continuing relationship.

-E

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You were lucky ;-)

Gomero