Acer palmatum Jjoshi (or Ijoshi)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jeffers, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

Hi
    Just bought this but the label could be read as either spelling. Anybody got any other info other than the picture on the front of the label which depicts it as pink (early growth) and green edged pink later. Any ideas about the name as internet searches come up blank

Cheers

Jeffers

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Can you post a picture of the tag with the picture of the tree as you describe:

"Anybody got any other info other than the picture on the front of the label which depicts it as pink (early growth) and green edged pink later. "

What nursery did you buy the tree? For example there is a chance we may know what that grower offers which may narrow down the possibilities.

Keep in mind that the person who made the tag can and will make a mistake. I see it quite often. With that said the name on the tag could be completely wrong in the case of not being able to read the writing on the list, mixing letters around, misinterpreting, or in the case of typed tags, auto correct, copy paste errors, ect. The possibilities are endless, but the picture you describe of the leaves could clear this up. (Providing it is correct). We may not know for certain until the tree breaks dormancy to verify the photo is correct.

Anyway with the collective knowledge of this forum I am pretty sure that we can provide you with an ID and additional information about the cultivar.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

P3170067.JPG P3170066.JPG [QUOTEpicture of label attached
    ="JT1, post: 369257, member: 54052"]Can you post a picture of the tag with the picture of the tree as you describe:

"Anybody got any other info other than the picture on the front of the label which depicts it as pink (early growth) and green edged pink later. "

What nursery did you buy the tree? For example there is a chance we may know what that grower offers which may narrow down the possibilities.

Keep in mind that the person who made the tag can and will make a mistake. I see it quite often. With that said the name on the tag could be completely wrong in the case of not being able to read the writing on the list, mixing letters around, misinterpreting, or in the case of typed tags, auto correct, copy paste errors, ect. The possibilities are endless, but the picture you describe of the leaves could clear this up. (Providing it is correct). We may not know for certain until the tree breaks dormancy to verify the photo is correct.

Anyway with the collective knowledge of this forum I am pretty sure that we can provide you with an ID and additional information about the cultivar.[/QUOTE]

5. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

hi
    mnaged to get the pictures of the label onto the system but unfortunately it put it on a copy of the previuos posting

the plant was bought from a garden centre which I think imported this variety as part of a job lot of acers for the start of the season, probably from Holland.
    I have checked the sites of the main European growers/suppliers but cannot find any reference to this particular variety. it is in it's original pot outside and is just stating ti bud up. the trunk and stalks are very upright and a shade pale pea green.

cheers

jeffers

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

It looks a lot like Acer palmatum 'Taylor'

US Patent for Japanese Maple plant named ‘Taylor’ Patent (Patent # PP 15,943 issued September 6, 2005) - Justia Patents Search

I can't be certain, but sometimes a tree like Taylor (name) gets branded with a more Japanese sounding name for marketing. Sometimes a tree is discovered and someone else discovers something "new" sometimes called "similar" instead of "cultivar" kinda joke of the trade. I do not mean to imply anything.

See what others say, but for now check out Acer palmatum 'Taylor'. You may need to post some pictures as the tree grows this spring for better ID.

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Acer palmatum ‘Taylor’ | Dick van der Maat - Japanese Maple Nursery

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Jeffers

Jeffers Member

thanks for that and I will post pictures as and when

8. Laurie Holmes

Laurie Holmes Member

Hi there,

I’ve just visited a garden nursery I’ve never been to before and run across one of these acers labelled ‘Ijoshi’. I googled to see if I could find anything on it as I’m quite an avid collector and always looking to stumble on something I don’t yet have. But apart from this thread, I have found no other mention of this ‘Ijoshi’ either. I have to say, the moment I saw it, I said to my husband ‘that’s a Taylor’. The colours and varigation were exactly the same as the Taylor I have. The only difference this specimen might have had from the Taylor was that the leaves were bigger, but that could just have been a variation on that particular tree

9. Laurie Holmes

Laurie Holmes Member

These are some pictures of my Taylor for comparison

Attached Files:

10. Ghost74

Ghost74 Member

Some pics of my Jjoshi today. Stunning. FAA8AEEE-F0DE-485E-93CF-0011C72B9BCF.jpeg

Attached Files:

MapleZen, Worldly_Wrangler and AlainK like this.
  11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi all and a happy new year to everyone.
    Just thought I would post this thread on a maple that's being advertised a lot ATM in the UK.
    It is Acer palmatum 'Iyoshi'
    My thoughts are this is a rebranding of the buyer beware AP 'Taylor '.
    I cannot see any difference between them from photos being shown.
    But if anybody has purchased one and would like to share their thoughts on the forum, I think others who are thinking of buying one, might be interested.

12. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

13. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

I know Iyoshi quite well. Bought many many of them in NL. It's not a rebranded Taylor. It performs better.

maf likes this.