Acer palmatum 'Jinling Huangfeng'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Jinling Huangfeng' is a cultivar that holds yellow color for 160 days during the growing season. The cultivar was discovered ten years ago by Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences Tourism Agriculture Research Center Nanjing, Jiangsu, China.
    Pictures available:
    产品展示-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

Additional pictures from photo contest:
    首届‘金陵黄枫’摄影大赛获得圆满成功-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫>

More information about the Maple Research Team and their discoveries:
    正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

Jinling Huang Feng' Jiangsu Provincial Academy of Agricultural cultivate new varieties of maples, in 2010 the cultivar (Acer palmatum 'Jinling Huangfeng') passed the Examination Committee tree species, in Jiangsu Province. In 2013 the cultivar was awarded the right to the protection of new plant varieties of the State Forestry Administration.

They warn that several counterfeits have hit the market in recent years and you can only get the real cultivar from:

Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences Tourism Agriculture Research Center
    Address: No. 50, Zhongling Street, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
    Hotline: 025-84392682
    Fax: 025-84392650
    Postal Code: 210014

'Jinling Huangfeng' is a research team of maple trees led by researcher Li Qianzhong of Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences.

‘金陵黄枫’嫁接苗-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

"Most of A. palmatum plants have green leaves during growth period, turning red in autumn, except for the Chinese cultivar 'Jinling Huangfeng' and Dutch cultivar Dutch-Yellow-Maple. 'Jinling Huangfeng' is an excellent colorful cultivar selected by Jiangsu Academy of Agriculture, impressing audience by its eternal bright yellow leaves during vigorous growth period. This mutant 'Jinling Huangfeng' showed golden-yellow leaves throughout the whole vigorous growth period and turned orange-red in autumn, providing diversely aesthetic merit. Meanwhile, better adaptability, stronger disease resistance, and less leaf-burning possibility phenomenon guarantee 'Jinling Huangfeng' more commercial advantages than green ones." From:
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/843470/

Here is a link to their yellow dissectum:
    ‘金陵黄羽’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

A link to their silver maple with yellow color on underside of leaves instead of silver:
    糖槭‘花叶糖槭’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks a lot, I've just forwarded the links, concluding "If GMOs mean more diversity, it's great".

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'm guessing that's a Shantung Maple, A. truncatum. Unusual.

The JM cultivar looks nice and seems to take sun well, I appreciate learning about it. There are perhaps other yellow cultivars available than those they mention!

@AlainK So you think they're doing genetic modification in the lab? Or just regular garden-variety GM, as in garden hybrids?

4. AlainK

I was wrong! I read too fast when I saw all those abbreviations. They're studying and reproducing a chance seedling, a mutant to understand better various phenomena like colouring, etc.

Er... foot-in-mouth or something as you "Anglos" say ? ^^

Au temps pour moi...

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

@emery they have other introductions that I didn't include before because I was not sure if anyone would be interested and didn't want to overwhelm my first post with too much information and links. Here are some others.

Acer palmatum 'Jinling Qiaofeng' a green Acer palmatum with dense growth that grows 1.5 x faster than Acer p.
    鸡爪槭‘金陵乔枫’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

Acer palmatum 'Jinling Hongfeng' red stems with red buds that emerge red with yellow veins. Leaves fully open with yellow center and orange red margins. During the growing season the leaves are slightly wrinkled red with heavily serrated pink toothed margins.

‘金陵红枫’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

A. 'Zhongshanhong' Red with purple margins in fall. Leaves change 20 days earlier in fall.

特早变色青枫‘钟山红’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

A. 'Zijinhong' turns red in fall 40 days later than species.

三角枫新品系‘紫金红’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

A. 'Ninglu' The leaves in autumn and winter are still green and have strong cold tolerance.

三角枫新品系 ‘宁绿’-正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I think the genetic topic came from one of the links I provided. It's a study that shows genetic changes occur in the leaves of Acer palmatum 'Jinling Huangfeng' when grown in shade. The variety is yellow during summer when in full sun, but if put in shade the leaves turn green (which is something that we all have observed in some varieties). The researchers at the Chinese lab discovered that not only do the leaves change but the genetics change too within the leaves when the tree is grown in shade. This change is also why when we take a shade grown maple that normally stands up in full sun burns when it is moved from shade to sun too quickly. Here is a link to the study that details the specific genetic changes that occur:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/843470/

This is something I was going to create a dedicated thread, but ran out of time and I also had concerns that general interest may be low among other things.

It was this study that lead me to research the variety and discover the information on the Chinese researchers and the other varieties that they discovered. In fact they have written several studies and applied for patent specific to Acer palmatum and tissue propagation, micro-grafting, seed germination, and substrate.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    AlainK likes this.
  7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

@emery

If I were part of The Maple Society I would be reaching out to (if they haven't already):
    Jinling Huangfeng research team of maple trees led by researcher Li Qianzhong of Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences.

And following their research and patent applications very closely as their research and inventions are both exciting and valuable contributions to maple research!
    Maybe invite them to a symposium as a guest of honor or as a presenter/speaker.

正宗金陵黄枫--中国金陵黄枫网,金陵黄枫,南京金陵黄枫

AlainK likes this.
  8. emery

It sounds like a great idea, and I will try to see us follow up on it (or do it myself). It is possible we already have contacts there that I don't know about. We're trying to engage as much as possible with China; we were very honored to have Prof Weibang Sun, Director of the Kunming Botanical Garden, as a speaker at the symposium in Roscoff. Thanks!

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I'm glad you think so!

Maybe less important or off topic, but another idea. It would be great if these events were recorded and posted to YouTube or on the maple society website. Maybe great for education and raising awareness. Might also be good for those members that don't have time, means, or ability to attend a symposium. (Reaching range of: young/old, students/professionals, working/retired or disabled, rich/poor, near/far, ect)

kgeezy20 and AlainK like this.
  10. emery

Well, I agree with you there also, and we've had discussions along those lines. But you'd be surprised at the amount of resistance. I think we'll get there some day, but we sure aren't there yet!

11. AlainK