Acer palmatum 'Japanese Sunrise'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Japanese Sunrise is a colored bark selection from Sango kaku. While showing many similarities, this plants seems to show more orange in the bark at certain time of the year, but still had bright red new tiwgs. The leaf shape and color is typical for such a selection.

The first photo is from 9/15/05 while all of the others are from the first week of November 2005.

MJH

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I had a rare chance to snap some sunlit photos of my plant in fall color today. While I was enjoying the color transition a few days back, I did not realize the intensity of yellow this plant could achieve. I have been inspired to get this one into the ground where the light can catch it just right.

Fall color photos: 11/10/05

MJH

Attached Files:

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

The US National Arboretum, late May, 2006.

Attached Files:

4. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I really enjoy the strong lime colored leaves.

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the fall color for 2011

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

yello is the fall color

Attached Files:

• 102.jpg
      102.jpg
      File size:
      293.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My first posting of my Acer palmatum 'Japanese Sunrise'. Just the slightest of hints of change at the teeth to the lobes.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    OK so a little damage from the extreme heat in August, but not so much as to call my Japanese Sunrise a right off this year.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    This one I have posted today due to the questions about how well it holds it's yellows. Not to bad IMO.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    Now if you need a cultivar to brighten up a dull day or corner of your garden, then Japanese sunrise could be the one for you.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Japanese sunrise. Still holding it's greens very well. Should mean a wonderful Autumn display very soon.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

4th October 2020 and the contrasts between my Japanese Sunrise and my Beni Maiko are just perfect IMO. Combinations are so important!!

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

10th October 2020 and my Japanese sunrise is one that is ho,ding onto its Summer colour. Just hints of Autumn appearing on the outer edges of the lobes.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and my little Japanese sunrise amongst other maples.
    The placement is so important.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

29th October 2020 and a very Autumnal scene in my garden due to storms that have blown the leaves off almost everything. But still pretty !!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and tbe very strong winds and heavy rain means these leaves will not last the weekend. So here it is my Japanese sunrise looking very delicate.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

9th November and my Japanese Sunrise is nearing the end for Autumn colour, but it still is giving pleasure. IMO its at it's best now.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

November 23rd and the yellow is so bright on my Japanese sunrise that I had to show it. Not many leaves left at all, but what is there is special IMO.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

6th April 2021 and I wish I could be posting a photo and info about Princess rather than Sunrise, but hey ho, this is what I have got until our US friends ship to the UK.
    So this is a photo this morning after a hard frost overnight. Waking up in the bright morning sunshine nicely, IMO.
    Japanese sunrise 180.JPG

21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My little 'Japanese Sunrise'

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Lol..........

23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Lol. It wouldn't load for some reason.

24. Acerholic

Had a few messages over the past couple of weeks from Android users that are having similar problems D, but it seems to sort itself out.

25. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and kate last night I was asked to post an update on how this one is leafing out, so here it is N.
    Japanese Sunrise 201.JPG