Acer palmatum 'Iijima sunago'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Jul 11, 2005.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

the fall color if Iijima sunago can be some of the best found in my garden

I added a photo of the tree in July when it starts making large color changes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. amazingmaples

Iijima sunago is a great tree, it has never ending changing color. The fall color is one of the best. I have added a photo of the tree in the first part of august, it is starting to lighten up.

I added a photo of another Iijima sunago which has been in more sun

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. amazingmaples

The color on this one only lasted a day or two but when the color was there it was a great yellow and orange

Attached Files:

4. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The color on mine lasted almost two weeks and it looked like someone had spilled orange day-glow paint in the landscape because the orange was so vivid. I'm so happy I upgraded to the bigger tree with Charlie.

The focus isn't the greatest with the camera phone, but you can get an idea about the color. And, believe it or not, the color was even better in person. I'm telling you, it glowed from two hundred feet away.

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

I found that part of the tree was against my house so the extra warmth of the heat loss help push a few leaves out sooner than the entire tree. Nothuing like mirco climates in our own garden.

Iijima still ranks tops on my list of japanese maples.

Attached Files:

6. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,

I can't help to notice that you run quite a lot of dripping irrigation to your JMs. I am designing mine this Spring since I just finished building my JM garden copying from you and JT1. Do you mind to share with me what is your water dripping rate i.e. gpm and how many days/wk for your irrigation setting?.
    I am in zone 6, most of mine are in the ground and the trees are smaller than yours avg. 3-7yrs old running from 1/2 up to 1+1/2 inch trunk.
    Thanks a lot, Steven

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

This tree has been so much fun to watch this spring-- every day the leaves are slightly different, unusual color. I'm so glad I chose this cultivar-- definitely a stand out in the garden, and delight to look at close up.

I'll have to go and take another photo tomorrow-- it's an even more vivid color now than it was on the 8th.

Attached Files:

8. maplesmagpie

This is the color today--

Attached Files:

9. maplesmagpie

This is such a different red-- in morning sun and afternoon shade, it has a beautiful, very bright, brick red color:

Attached Files:

10. maplesmagpie

Summer colors of my Iijima sunago (July and August 2016). It has a fascinating color change from its orange-red of spring and the lime undertones of summer. One of my favorites. Mine gets about half day sun, then bright shade the rest of the day.

Attached Files:

11. maplesmagpie

Spring 2016 photos of the same tree-- the last two photos were taken toward the end of the day, which I think brought out more of the blues/purples and led to a slightly different looking red.

Attached Files:

12. maplesmagpie

I found the photos from June. It had very long-lasting red colors this spring....longer of any of the Deshojo/Corallinum group cultivars:

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum ' Iijima sunago ' is a standout in my garden for its leaf shape and wonderful deepest reds. Fairly hardy and tolerates full sun well. Even in the rain, shown in my last photo; it's a winner IMO.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

1st August 2020, my Iijima sunago is in full sun, including very hot temperatures and as can be seen in my photo taken this morning, it is showing it is doing very well.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

9th August 2020, full sun 36° C last few days. This cultivar is doing very well, after having new shoots eaten by a mouse in March, at one time the leaves were bigger than the trunk. If you want something a little different in the maple world, then this one could be the one for you.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    What's not to love about this cultivar!! A tree that gives and gives.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    I have new growth continuing on my Iijima sunago and the combination between young and old leaves, gives this one so much character.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    My favourite in my garden this morning is my Iigima Sunago. Some early dew and it looks like a sugar glaze.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    And now they darken towards Autumn on my Iigima Sunago!!!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is. My Iigima Sunago has those tell tell shoots just below these top older ones. Not going to survive obviously, but they are there.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and a bright chilly start to the day gave a little early morning dew on my My Iigima Sunago. The deep reds are showing up nicely now.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. Iigima Sunago is now vert bright.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

23rd October 2020 and just a few days on and this is how my Iigima Sunago changes.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

21st March 2021 and this has to be one of my all time favourites, so to see it just starting I had to capture it for the Maples cultivar photo forum.
    Iijima sunago 706.JPG

25. Acerholic

21st April 2021 and my Iijima Sunago a month on is getting going.
    Iijima sunago 197.JPG
    Not many in my friends collections, so I am quite pleased I have have it.