Acer palmatum 'Hessei'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Laurie, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Hessei' - Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle. This tree is rather heavily shaded in the Woodland Garden. Photographs: August 24, 2001; November 3, 2001.

Attached Files:

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is a large Hessei in a field

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Here is my new Acer palmatum ' Hessei ' This photo in June 2020 shows how new it is, just taken from the box. I hope it gives an idea to those who might want to buy this cultivar in what to expect.
    I am very pleased with the colouring and leaf shape. Also very excited about 2021 Spring leaf colour, after seeing @amazingmaples photo below from 9 years ago.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Second posting of my new Hessei, 30th July 2020. Against the dark green background of my Box, it's looking very nice IMO.
    Lots more postings on this one over the next few years to see how it turns out. Think I'm going to be very pleased.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    The colours are getting better and better on my Hessei, no signs of damage either atm.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    From sunshine to today's heavy rain, this cultivar is becoming a very firm favourite in my garden.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    The greens are disappearing fast now ready for the big show.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Hessei.
    Lots of interest in this one, not surprisingly.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    As promised continued photos, but so very very dry atm.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is. But my Hessei is showing how to behave correctly!!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

30th September 2020 and the sun shone briefly on my Hessei, so as it was looking pretty I took this photo to share.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

4th October 2020 and my Hessei in a deluge of rain. At least this one in my garden is behaving properly for this time of the year.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

15th October 2020and the early morning sun on my Hessei was a must for a photo IMO.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

22nd October 2020 and my Hessei is now probably at it's best for Autumn colour IMO.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

2nd May 2021 and my very first showing of my Hessei for this year. I really love the soft tones of this cultivar. It's not all about the bright vivid colours.
    Hessei 211.JPG

18. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and at last my Hessei has leafed out. A month later than in previous years.
    Hessei 234.JPG

19. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and after some overnight showers, my Hessei looked rather nice this morning in the early sunshine.
    Hessei 242.JPG

20. Acerholic

2nd June 2021 and after a few PMs about this one, I thought I should show it here this morning.
    Hessei 249.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and the changes are very fast now.
    Hessei 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

26th June 2021 and my Hessei is looking at it's Summer best now.
    Hessei 281.JPG

Romain01 and D97x7 like this.
  23. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

do you have pictures of this variety in the fall?

24. Acerholic

Hi Romain, look at posts 14, 15 and 16 of this thread to show colours of mine during Autumn.

D

Romain01 likes this.
  25. Acerholic

6th April 2022 and here we go for another season. My Hessei is looking quite strong this year. Does this bode well for a good display !!? only time will tell.
    Hessei April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.