Acer palmatum 'Ghost Series'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Maple_Lady, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

With so many JMs to share I thought that I would bundle the Ghost Series of maples by Talon Buchholz into one thread.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and zfrittz like this.
  2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice!

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Resilient 'Purple Ghost' leaves.

We've had 3 dustings of snow and several dips below freezing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    zfrittz likes this.
  4. Maple_Lady

Hi Gil, Very nice pic. You have had more winter weather than we have experienced in the Northwest. Only two nights to 32 degrees. Very mild which always makes me nervous that an artic front will come into our valley and ..... you know. I really want my maples to harden off instead of showing new buds.

5. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

PNW weather: batten down this week as my husband (amateur weatherman extraordinaire) is calling for a sudden drop on Friday evening followed by an even colder Saturday night and Sunday day.

6. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Here is my first ghost leafing out in the beginning of may.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  7. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

Since the ghost series have become more readily available, I was hoping that, with the knowledge of collectors in this forum, this thread can be developed to establish an useful comparative table that highlights the distinguishing features of each Ghost relative to a reference, say, Shigitasusawa, and/or to each other.
    Granted that the Ghosts are known to vary even within a cultivar, they must still have their name-sake distinguishing features to look for.
    It seems that, for example, maples like 'First Ghost' and 'Purple Ghost' have more readily recognized features relative to, say, 'Grandma Ghost' or 'Amber Ghost'.

8. Maple_Lady

Garcan,

You are correct that the ghost maples may have parents. I do know that First Ghost was found as a seedling from Shigitatsu sawa. I believe that Grandma Ghost was a sport of Aka shigitatsu sawa. Also I believe that Amber Ghost and Baby Ghost were seedlings from Aka shigitatsu sawa.

Spring is here in the Northwest and I have maples already pushing leaves. A little scary at this time of the year, but with the El nino pattern I never know what to expect. Hope to see lots of pics in the gallery this spring.

9. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

Maple_lady
    We still have the white stuff covering the ground; although this winter has been kind so far (touch wood).
    From pictures and descriptions, I cannot see clear differences between Aka Shigitasu Sawa and e.g. Grandma Ghost. Any hints from your experience? I am hoping to learn more about the Ghosts before I acquire more next spring.

10. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

My Ap Purple Ghost are just now leafing out, here is a photo of one of my Purple Ghost which is the tree in the box on the right and a close up of leaves.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  11. Maple_Lady

Nice maples Charlie

12. amazingmaples

Thanks Sam

Of course you know who creates these great trees. I sure enjoy parking them in my yard.

My big First Ghost is just leafing out so I hope to get a few photos of it (with my 50 cent camera). If only I could stop buying trees, then I could afford to buy a camera and food. (maybe next year).

13. amazingmaples

here is photo of my largest Ap 'Amber Ghost'

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  14. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice!

15. amazingmaples

Here are several different ghost planted together. Left is Grandma Ghost, (not a ghost), Purple Ghost, Amber Ghost, and Baby Ghost

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Here is Uncle ghost, IMO one of the most underated of the ghosts.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Here is Sister ghost, almost translucent when the sun shines in Spring. Much finer lobes than the other ghosts. This cultivar goes so well with Purple ghost.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Here is a close up of Purple ghost, IMO the darkest of the ghost series.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Amber ghost, leafing out. This tree has such a subtle colour and can mix with purple and Sister ghost with ease in a border of the ghost family.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Grandma ghost, is a favourite everywhere and not just because of it's name. The vivid greens are a standout feature in this ghost.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  21. Acerholic

First ghost with a subtle shade of pink and it's quick transformation in just three weeks in Spring. I hope that my close up photos of my ghost series will assist anyone thinking of buying a maple of this series.
    I will add my Baby ghost close up at a later date, as the reticulation is still yet to show.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  22. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    These are all of my ghosts bar one, 'Baby '. Thought I would group them here today to show how they compare to each other at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  23. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and my Baby ghost that was not with the others posted earlier is struggling. No buds at all atm.
    I have heard that this can be a difficult one to bring on. Will it be here next year !!??? Time will tell.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  24. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have read all the post of the different ghost cultivars and while I found good advices,
    I thought I would ask for a fresh advice on which one I should purchase as I am not planning to get each of them.

So far I am looking to buy purple ghost (which I consider appart from the others), and I had put my choice on Amber ghost as I like the name and it seems to match with my preference of coloration.
    But then did I recently read that uncle ghost is a must...so still not sure.

Also, would you recommend getting 'aka shigitatsu sawa' as an addition or should I pass?
    Thank you for any advice.

25. Acerholic

Good morning I, which one to chose Hmmmm ??? I have 7 and tbh I love them all. But as you have mentioned Purple ghost, I would definatly reccomend it. J @zfrittz purchased one in 2020 and his is looking amazing. I think he would also reccomend it above all the others. Regarding Uncle and Amber ghost. I would say IMO I would go for Amber, but tbh I, it is a very close call. I wouldn't be without either. But I do have a serious addiction to maples, lol.
    Now regarding Aka shigitatsu sawa, this is another reticulated variety that is very nice. And yes I have it also, lol. But if you are looking at a few ghosts, then this one may not be necessary in your collection.
    Purple Ghost 4.JPG IMG_20200624_122956493_HDR.jpg Amber ghost 4.JPG Sister ghost 18.JPG
    Here is a photo of my Purple, Uncle, Amber and Sister. I can post photos of Grandma, First and Baby ghosts, but tbh I don't want to muddy the water in your decision. Hope that's of help I.