Acer palmatum 'Geisha Gone Wild'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by benishien, Apr 8, 2008.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Would you be interested in elaborating on that statement? Especially if it is a funny story.......

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

maf

since I was not the one to find the tree I would only be telling a tale. I can say the name of the tree tells the story and when you see a Geisha you might find an answer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. maf

Actually, if I had thought about it a little more deeply at the time I would not have asked this exact question. It is a matter of official record (patent documents) that 'Gwen's Rose Delight' (Shirazzâ„¢) originated as a branch sport from 'Geisha', and, given how similar they are, it is inconceivable 'Geisha Gone Wild' could have arisen by a different method to Shirazzâ„¢. The question I should have asked is why was the seedling story printed in the book? I don't know the answer, but there must have been reasons why.

Charlie,
    Thanks, I wouldn't want you to be telling a tale, it was a little cheeky of me to ask! We can all read the story of the tree in its name, but it is natural to be curious for the longer and funnier version. Of course Mr Buchholz is always welcome to enlighten us with his version of the story if he should wish.

4. amazingmaples

I do not understand a patent on a freak of nature, but I am not in the game of propagating the tree. I can understand people wanting to make money in this business but I am not into overpriced trees. I found my way into japanese maples via a collector grower, Frank Byles, who sold off his collection. It was great, big tres at a fair price, I bought 130 trees in a month and a half. None of my local nurseries had trees this nice at double the price. I said to myself, this is how it should be.
    What is important in all of this is to get a tree to the general puplic which is spectaular and something they few proud to have bought. For me I deal with the collectors and it is my goal to provide them with trees they can wait to post on the internet via UBC or any photo webpage.
    As i said, I laugh at all the stories because they are all lies. There is a saying, if their lips are moving, they are lying. I have no idea what is the truth but when you see the truth it probably is the truth. I just hope there is no need for another named cultivar similar. I am having a hard enough time keeping track of the thousands already existing cultivars.
    I also believe price and quality is very important. Very important.

5. weedpatch

weedpatch Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'

This is a photo of Acer p. 'Shirazz' that I took at a garden center near Chicago (zone 5), plus the plant tag that was on it. Is everyone concluding that it is the same as 'Geisha Gone Wild'. Is it hardy in Zone 5, does it hold its color in sun, is it long lived? Does it change color over the course of the seasons--to what? Is Shiraz with one z or two z's? Thanks, RL

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. maf

Weedpatch, see this thread for more discussion of Shirazz™: Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' or Shirazz™
    I think the consensus is that Shirazz™ is very similar to, but not exactly the same as 'Geisha Gone Wild'. (Both originating as sports from 'Geisha')

7. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Don't know that these photos do it justice. It's even prettier with the sunlight on the leaves.

So far, mine still has plenty of pink even this time of year. It just may be my favorite performer for this year. Yeah, I think so.

Attached Files:

8. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Love this maple!!!!

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

Lucky you to have so many leaves, my GGW only has swelling bud.

The one I have this year is not as large as the one that Winterhaven took from my place.

10. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

i dont want to gloat but i got mine at costco for 68 bucks ten gallon steal of a deal

11. amazingmaples

Mine was a little more than that but it is about 5' tall and the one I had before is about 7' tall and 6' wide.

12. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

no matte the shape i love the maple!!!!

13. amazingmaples

I was wondering if you bought he tree this year?

14. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

nope last year i bought it, here is the shape, took the pic just after planting, gets basically full sun

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  15. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Took the pics today and is doing well.

Attached Files:

16. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

amazing!:)

17. John Hosie

John Hosie Active Member

I am not the expert that some of you might be, but I'm sure I read about this one before. So I looked it up in an excellent resource I picked up off half.com a while back. Japanese Maples by Vertrees and Gregory talks about Geisha, Geisha Gone Wild, and Shirazz. It seems both Shirazz and Geisha Gone Wild are seedlings of Geisha. I highly recommend this book as a resource, by the way. It is great. To quote the authors description of GGW on this subject:

No doubt, all are wonderful in their own right. My collection has been growing thanks, in part, to eBay. There are some great other options for those of you who like these unusually beautiful cultivars.

Any of the 'Ghost' family of trees - Amber, Baby, First, Grandma, Purple, Sister, or Uncle Ghost, or Ghost Dancer.
    Peaches & Cream
    Butterfly (has been around for a long time and may be the most widely sold)
    Beni Shi En
    Manyo no soto
    Toyama Nishiki (Variegated red, green, cream/white leavily laced dissectum)
    Shigatsu Sawa (mostly cream/green with edges pink in spring)
    Aka Shigatsu Sawa (Similar, but more reddish on new foliage)
    Olsens Frosted Strawberry (This one is pretty new, from what I understand, but it is beautiful pastelly pink in springtime, with nice creamy frost)

I don't stick just to JM's, though. There are several maples I recommend that are also variegated. There's the old standby "Harlequin Maple" that disappeard for a couple of years when the Tree Hugging Ultimate Green Soldiers, AKA THUGS of the environmental movement got all upset about Norway Maples in New England. (They've been there since the 1700's, and were widely used to replace Elms after the Dutch Elm Disease fiasco in the 1930's.). This is a cultivar of the Norway Maple. It has now come out again as a Variegated Maple in the places around by me, with no mention of Norway at all. They just refer to the latin name.

There is the Carnival Hedge Maple. Great variegated small tree or shrub. As I understand it, the Hedge Maples are what made up the Hedgerows, or at least part of them, across the French countryside that caused our soldiers a lot of trouble during WWII. This one is a mutation that I find particularly beautiful.

The last one is usually sold as a Japanese Maple, but it definitely isn't. It is a Sycamore Maple properly named the Esk Sunset, but is usually sold as Eskimo Sunset. The leaves are purple on the underside, but mottled green, purple and cream on the tops. I've found that birds come and steal the leaves!!! So keep that in mind.

By the way, "Shirazz" is spelled with two "zeds", not one. I suppose it might have been because the wine grape was trademarked or something. But who knows?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  18. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I would take the information regarded in that book regarding those three trees with a grain of salt. It is an excellent reference and a vast majority of the information provided is accurate, but there appear to be a few errors in each of the 4 editions of that book. I wasn't there so I can't guarantee it, but having carefully studied these trees I would say that both Shirazz (Gwen's rose delight) and Geisha Gone Wild are in fact "sports" from Geisha. In fact I'm not convinced that this "sport" is all that uncommon. In my eyes it could be considered a partial reversion, but that is another story for another day.

19. amazingmaples

I have to say I have vol 4 but I have not read it. As for the trees being seedlings, that sounds about right. Well that means the next person who cuts that funny growth off a Geisha has come up with their own new tree???

I guess one story leads to another.

20. winterhaven

In my collection (75+ JM), GGW takes the crown for number one favorite JM two years running. It's also the one that elicits gasps from visitors.

So I was finally able to grab some photos. Usually the photos don't do a tree's color justice. But in this case, they overstate the amount of pink I see in real life. I'd say the pink color is more similar to Barbie pink than fuchsia. I also included a picture of leaves from the back of the tree that show some etoliation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Dsm1gb likes this.
  21. amazingmaples

here is the fall color for 2011

Attached Files:

22. amazingmaples

Here are the early colors for 2012

Attached Files:

23. winterhaven

This is one of my very most favorite maples.

Attached Files:

24. amazingmaples

There is a big difference in color with this tree between the shade and full sun. In some ways people have like the not so bright pink color of the tree in the shade. The first three photos are of a tree which is in mostly shade

Attached Files:

• 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      272 KB
      Views:
    • 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      291.1 KB
      Views:
    • 079.jpg