Acer palmatum 'Garnet'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by stephen2602, Jan 22, 2004.

1. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

I thought I would add this picture to this forum as most people think it is a flower of sorts. I have a Garnet that produces the most wonderful colours when it is opening up after winter. Pity it fades during Summer.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. industrial

industrial Active Member

This is my Garnet this spring,it really does have flowers on it though the leaves are far more spectacular

Attached Files:

3. industrial

industrial Active Member

Here are the seeds forming.

Attached Files:

4. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

While it does fade, even as it greens out in the shade my Garnet is pretty spectacular!

Attached Files:

5. industrial

industrial Active Member

Here is my tree in the autumn of 2004.

Attached Files:

6. industrial

industrial Active Member

Here's a close-up taken last October.

Attached Files:

7. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: New leaves from a A.P. Garnet

Here is pictures taken today of a friend's tree.

He doesn't know what it is. Do you think this is a garnet ?

Attached Files:

8. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

Here is my specimen Garnet in October

Attached Files:

9. dbe104

dbe104 Member

Would you happen to know the name of the hostas that are planted in the foregound of the lovely tree?

10. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Garnet has some of the nicest colors of any red JM to me, sort of a rosy orange red. Too bad it doesn't keep its color better in the summer heat, although I've heard the colors last better in full sun. Mine is in part shade.

Attached Files:

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I've had one in a container for a couple of years, but decided to plant it this spring. It's going to get a lot of sun. Looking good so far.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Garnet has started to have a lot of green, a question I was asked today about today by @Mani. I thought it best to post a photo as this can speak far more than words. This is very typical of this cultivar at this time of year.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  13. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My Garnet is doing pretty good. Sorry I have not updated as I promissed I would. I will make a note to do this one again in a few days.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    From extreme heat to a glazed look to my Garnet today. Both equally pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    The sun was shining on my Garnet, so thought I would add this today. Sometimes it's just about the moment!!!

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    There is something about early morning sun and shadows that my Garnet just loves. Even a little bit of leaf scorch does not deter this one from giving pleasure.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

30th September 2020 and the sun and sprinkling of raindrops on my Garnet made it glow this morning. Little bit of scorch on some tips but nothing too bad at all.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

10th October 2020 and my Garnet in the early morning dew has a presence that just makes you stare.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

26th March 2021 and my Garnet this morning after overnight rain is my first showing of this one for this year. Those deep reds are already there.
    Garnet 710.JPG

20. Acerholic

27th April 2021, this such a slow start, that my Garnet is only just now getting going.
    Garnet tower 205.JPG

21. Acerholic

15th June 2021 and my Garnet was glowing in the early morning sunshine. So I thought I would share it.
    Garnet 267.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

29th June 2021 and one of the dissectums to guarantee a lovely red is my Garnet.
    Garnet 282.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  23. Acerholic

5th April 2022 and my Garnet is well underway now. It seemed to ignore the Spring frosts so far this year.
    Garnet April 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

16th April 2022 a morning dew greeted my Garnet. I do love it when this happens.
    Garnet Mid April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  25. stg

stg Member

From early this morning:

728656ED-EF62-4A8D-B84E-F1A1F2528F33.jpeg D7F0F8B4-5EA3-407C-8458-8DB7B5DC24F1.jpeg

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.