Acer palmatum 'Fujinami nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, May 25, 2007.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I find it very encouraging that professional growers participate to the forum to contribute to the better understanding of maples. Mr. Maillot, you should contribute more often and, maybe, other growers will also pitch in a bit.

Gomero

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mr Mallot,

I'm glad you have such high standards. Can you recommend a grower in the US that matches your excellence for cutural practices, especially concerning variegated cultivars?

Many thanks!

3. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mr. Maillot,

It is great to see European nurserymen on UBC. You have beautiful trees that seem very true to cultivar. How can we get your trees like this here in the United States?

Thanks,

Tim Nichols

4. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

July 19th 2020, after early morning rain my Fujinami Nishiki has brightened considerably. I'm still waiting for the tell tell deep purple mid leaf that is this cultivars trade mark.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  6. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Beautiful picture. I’m waiting for Guy Maillot to get in touch with me regarding this one. He had one that slugs got to and it got munched. When it has recovered he is going to send it out. I’m going to be super vigilant regarding the pruning of any reversion and hope that it can hold on to its variegation.

7. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, thanks Luke. The varigation like many can take a few years to show. But you are right that reversion has to be kept an eye on.

8. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. Several weeks since my last posting of my Fujinami Nishiki. Some varigation if you look closely, but as I said before, this varigation is rather unstable year on year. The dark purple has not arrived in 2020.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    As promised another update, no varigation I'm afraid, but still pretty.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Tried to get as close as possible to show that the varigation is just not there this year. Perhaps a few purple marks if you look very very closely!!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    A couple of weeks on and my Fujinami Nishiki is in full Autumnal mode. Always a first to start these colours and to loose it's leaves.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    Yes new leaves opposite the old on my Fujinami Nishiki. Looks quite strange.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and my little Fujinami Nishiki brightens up my garden with it's scarlet reds.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.
    My Fujinami Nishiki does buck the trend here a little with being subtle !!!

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. But my Fujinami Nishiki is actually this bright atm in my garden

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

9th October 2020 and my Fujinami Nishiki is still glowing amongst the maples that have not turned yet. This cultivar always turns early and drops it's leaves before others have even changed. I do plant my trees for a succession of colours.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

28th April 2021 and here is the first of the seasons leaves for my Fujinami Nishiki. Not many yet but I thought worth capturing.
    Fujinami nishiki 206.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  18. Acerholic

12th May 2021 and my Fujinami nishiki has only just leafed out. So here it is in the early morning sun.
    Fujinami nishiki 224.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and my Fujinami nishiki is so happy in the sun, so after a few PM's about this I thought I would continue to show how it copes in my garden over the next few weeks.
    Fujinami nishiki 245.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

3rd June 2021 and I wanted to show how in just a few days the leaves transform on my Fujinami nishiki. No variegation yet, but it will!!
    Fujinami nishiki 250.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

6th July 2021 and this one is being very slow this year with little to no new growth. Are the April frosts taking it's toll!!? Time will tell.
    Fujinami nishiki 294.JPG

22. Acerholic

20th April 2022 and a very wet Fujinami nishiki leafing out in my garden this morning. So I had to take a photo to share.
    Fujinami nishiki 20th April 2022.JPG

23. Acerholic

10th May 2022 and fully in leaf, no variegation yet, but this should come soon. I will updated the thread when it does come.
    Fujinami nishiki May 10th 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

14th May 2022 and I wanted to show how the sunlight on different days affects how this cultivar looks.
    As can be seen on the 10th May on a dull overcast day compared to today.
    Fujinami nishiki May 14th 2022.JPG

25. Acerholic

21st May 2022 and there is quite nothing like raindrops on a Fujinami nishiki to make it look extra dark.
    Fujinami nishiki 21st May 2022.JPG