Acer palmatum 'Deshojo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Mar 5, 2004.

1. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

@Acerholic good morning D, yes it is very nice weather here also, unfortunately I am stuck at my computer today working. Thank you for your reply and interesting indeed, that you find the main differences are to be seen in spring. So what are the differences if I may ask? I am wondering if I should get another one in this group. Any recommendations?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO Oh sorry to hear that M, but the weekend is nearly here.
    My recommendation would be Coral magic. Now this one is pretty from Spring to Autumn and even in Summer puts out some lovely new growth.
    Re differences, its all down to shades of the pinks, some are subtle and some a salmon pink but like Beni Maiko that is really in your face deep pink. Tbh I just couldn't choose which one to have, so as an Acerholic I bought all of them.

MapleMO likes this.
  3. Acerholic

15th November 2020 and my Deshojo is very near the last to lose it's leaves this Autumn. Still quite pretty!!!

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

20th November 2020 and the very bright setting sun meant I had to take probably the last photo of my Deshojo for this year.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

23rd November 2020 and after some PM's about this one, here it is still giving me some wonderful colour in my garden.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

5th April 2021 and the diary starts for my Deshojo, this maple is featured so much these days on YouTube as it is so colourful, that it is fast becoming the most popular and stable maples for everyone, from beginners to the most experienced growers. All I know is I am and always have been, very happy with it in my garden.
    Deshojo 180.JPG

7. Acerholic

9th Apr 2021 and the day after the night before so to speak. -7° C at this time of the year can be dissasterous for young tender maple leaves, but I continue to spray every one as it gets dark at night to protect them and as it has for many years before that I have been doing this, it gives my maples some protection.
    I will continue to show how my Deshojo gets on, good or bad.
    Deshojo 184.JPG

8. Acerholic

26th April 2021 and I think that Deshojo in Spring has one of the prettiest deep pinks out there in the maple world. So here is mine this morning, I will let you decide.
    Deshojo 203.JPG

9. Acerholic

2nd May 2021 and some early sun on my Deshojo. What a cultivar this is to cheer anyone up.
    Deshojo 211.JPG

10. Acerholic

3rd June 2021 and a whole month on and my Deshojo is showing a touch of Summer in the leaves now. It turns so much quicker than Shin-Deshojo.
    Deshojo 250.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Your right Derek, that has turned quickly, especially being as we’ve only had a few sunny days. I wonder if that’s how Shindeshojo got it’s name. Shin, meaning improved would seem apt if it were to consistently hold its pinks longer?

Just a thought.

12. Acerholic

Hi Luke, I think you have hit the nail on the head. But you know, I like both of them, even though there are only little differences.
    Good to see you back btw.

D

13. Acerholic

15th June 2021 and the vivid colours have now made way for the soft hues of Summer.
    Deshojo 267.JPG Deshojo 268.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  14. Acerholic

1st July 2021 and my Deshojo is hanging onto it's Spring like colours a lot later this year. Lots of new leaves mingle with the older leaves that makes it a little more special.
    Deshojo 288.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Acerholic

17th September 2021 and with Autumn only days away, my Deshojo has already stated it's display.
    Deshojo 400.JPG

D97x7 and AlainK like this.
  16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A branch of a 'Deshojo' just starting to leaf out :

acerp-deshojo_220404a.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

16th April and my Deshojo is only just starting for another season. The pinks on this cultivar just draw you towards it, however small the leaves.
    Deshojo Mid April 2022.JPG

AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

6th May 2022 and I now have the mixture of pinks and a hint of green that Deshojo is so well known for compared to Shindeshojo.
    Deshojo May 6th 2022.JPG

D97x7, Xi-feng and AlainK like this.
  19. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Mine is about the same now.

20. Acerholic

15th April 2023 and my Deshojo is brightening up my garden nicely this morning.

PXL_20230415_121711206.jpg

Backcountry Dan likes this.
  21. Acerholic

15th April 2024 and a year on since my last posting of this colourful maple in my garden.
    PXL_20240414_100810868.jpg PXL_20240414_100804598.jpg