Acer palmatum 'Dad's Best'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This very pretty dissectum was introduced by Del Loucks within the last very few years. (Del's son thought this cultivar was "Dad's Best" that year.) It is an unusual red (similar to the brick red of Kasagiyama) in spring, and this cultivar has a mounding habit and so far at least appears to be a slow-grower in my garden.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
    Acerholic likes this.
  2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

How old is your tree? It appears very beautiful...what's this Del Loucks website?
    -David-

3. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

How old is your tree? It looks very beautiful...what is Del Loucks website?
    -David-

4. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Sorry, the computer didn't post the first one I typed...

5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I purchased this cultivar from Del Loucks in November of 2005 when it was a one-year old. It's done well, growing slowly since then in pretty bright light conditions. I don't think Del has a web site ... you might want to call him instead. He's in Junction City, Oregon. This is a really pretty cultivar with colors unlike any others. It's a really good addition to my garden.

6. Galt

Galt Active Member

Dad's Best and Laura's Love are two seedlings that Del gave collection names in honor of the people that liked them the most in his family. Laura's Love for his daughter. Both plants are very like the parent or seed-bearing plant, but he has maintained them in his collection for many years and occasionally outlet them to a friend or two when asked. The limited propagation of these plants is not to keep them "close to the vest" on his part, but he himself will say they are more sentimental than unique or different.

I asked Del to graft Laura's Love for me a couple years ago and I enjoy it because of our friendship and what the plant means to him. The names he has given them were never meant to be cultivar or varietal names and they have never been introduced. They are just friendly collection plants shared among friends.