Acer palmatum 'Crumple Leaf'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

These are three pics that show the leaf color evolution for this cultivar . They were taken in May, June and July in the order. The leaves are, ahem, indeed somewhat crumpled.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero,

This tree is now known, or here in the United States, as 'Ruby Ridge'. It was called Crumple Leaf in the appendix of the Vertrees 3rd edition but there has been effort by some/a wholesaler to rename this plant Ruby Ridge. I have two of them and have seen them recently with both tags and the plants are synonymous. I am not sure the whole story, but in any case it is a great plant--one that is the top of my list.

Actually Elmore posted the plant in this tread in march 2004 as 'Ruby Ridge':
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2493&highlight=Ruby+Ridge

His looks a little different, but I think it is a photo and culture issue. If we can come to some agreement, then mabye we should have Erik merge the two threads.

Just in the past few days I have seen just a little green come through on mine, but not much. I was also told that it would not put out a second flush of growth in the summer, but that appears to be untrue as both of my plants are putting out new red leaves.

MJH

3. mjh1676

Here is the 3rd year tree I received just before leaf out this spring and sold as 'Ruby Ridge'. This is a slow growing dwarf to semi-dwarf that is stunning in every aspect. The oversized red leaves unfold with a beautiful silvery pubescense and mature to varying shades of red with a very noticeable "crumpled" effect. They almost look worn in a pleasant way. The leaves sit on very short petioles for their size and take on a very layered effect.

As the middle of summer progresses, the green begins to show through in the base color of the leaf and the veins and petioles change from red to green hilighting the red that remains in the leaf. I have mine in full sun and it does will but does become more tattered looking as the sun and wind can chew the leaves up just a bit. Oveall the leaf texture is very thick.

The photos here are in order from 03/17/2005 to 04/25/2005.

Attached Files:

4. Gomero

Hi Michael,

I bought it at Esveld's, and if you look at their online catalog they do not propose Ruby Ridge. I've checked with other European growers and they still use the name Crumple Leaf. I think they are both the same from the pictures you and Elmore have posted. Therefore let's call it Crumple Leaf/Ruby Ridge until there is agreement on one of the two names.

Kind regards,

5. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

This plant was introduced bt Talon Buchholz, he called it Crumple Leaf, then renamed it 'Ruby Ridge', same plant.

6. mjh1676

Still no agreement on the name between United State and European growers from my recent web search, but the fall color is great no matter what we call it: Ruby Ridge.

Fall photos: 11/10/05

MJH

Attached Files:

7. Gomero

As Michael pointed out, the spring colors are outstanding, unique red tones. Highly recommended for patio or deck in full sun.
    Gomero

Attached Files:

8. mjh1676

Just another spring photo to note the extreme pubescence on the emerging leaves.

Attached Files: