Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by swanny, Jan 31, 2004.

1. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

These are two photos of my Crimsom Queen taken in November of last year. This tree is approx 6-7 years old. It is planted close to the house and as such receives very little direct sun and as a consequence it loses its red color for the Summer but turns bright red again in November

Attached Files:

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Crimson Queen

Here are some pictures of a 'Crimson Queen' that I grafted a few years back. Also a picture of the mother plant, the source of the scion wood used in creating the smaller plant.

Attached Files:

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

<<Just thinking how much fun it would be to spend a day out with Ellmore hunting for mature maples suitable for 'cuttings' :)

4. PPC_SPC

PPC_SPC Member

Here's how the newly emerging leaves look. Brilliant red!

Attached Files:

5. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

Here is a new Crimson Queen that I planted this year. It gets filtered sun.

Attached Files:

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Not rare, this beautiful weeping Acer has to be in the top 100.The colour of the leaves constantly change throughout the seasons.
    This one was planted in May 1994. It is in a very sheltered area, in dappled shade.

Attached Files:

7. John Hosie

John Hosie Active Member

Our Crimson Queen has been in the front garden bed for 15-20 years. It stands maybe 3 1/2 feet tall by about 6-7 feet in diameter at the widest. It is a neighborhood landmark and we love how it holds its color throughout the summer.

There are texture shots of CQ together with Santolinia or with a green Japanese creeping juniper. There is also a shot with with springtime foliage on our Butterfly in the foreground and CQ in the background, and one with First Interstate iris in the foreground with CQ in back.

It is possible this is not truly a Crimson Queen. If you believe it to be misnamed, please let me know and I will do what I can to correct it.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the fall color for 2013

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      268.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Crimson Queen Spring and Autumn. This one certainly deserves it's name.

D

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

I've just been asked what dissectum stays red the longest, there are two in my garden, Crimson Queen as well as Red Dragon is the other.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Sometimes the sun shines perfectly on a leaf, it did this morning 22nd July 2020 IMO.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  12. Acerholic

This cultivar lends itself to close up photography and to enjoying it's wonderful blend of reds.
    Photo very early 24th July 2020 after rain.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

My last photo showed how this cultivar looks good in the rain. Today 31st July 2020, it's very hot and the sun is shining brightly. Still looking good IMO.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

5th August 2020 and another dissectum in my collection that will perform and perform no matter the weather.
    If anybody is considering a maple to put in their garden in these changing climates, then a dissectum is the way to go IMO.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Up close and personal with this one this morning. So special IMO.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Yet another dissectum that is looking so good this year. Even the new leaves on my Crimson queen have coped in the heatwave.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and a dissectum in the Summer rain. Does it get much better !!? Not really IMO.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    The colours are turning so fast now, I took this photo in very early morning sun.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Ultra close up as requested of my Crimson Queen.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    Crimson Queen, a dissectum for every garden IMO and especially these next few weeks.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    This on my Crimson Queen in the last couple of days!!

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    Crimson Queen is definatly no exception.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

27th September 2020 and bright Autumnal sunshine brings the best out of maple leaves. So the perfect light for my Crimson Queen.

Attached Files: