Acer palmatum Care/maintence

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mailman953, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mailman953

mailman953 Member

Have attempted to grow the Japanese Maple (more times than I'd like to admit to), the first several times I was living in So Utah (I won't count failures there for adverse climate conditions) .....However, I have lived here in So Oregon for 18 months now, and the current Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum) is the 2nd tree to fail again ......I should add that I am a very astute gardener, have belonged to many garden clubs/societies, have had great successess w/ all plants I have grown, w/ the exception of this Maple .....I am bent on success, but wish some input before I put in the 3rd tree .......I wish to add that I have and intend this Maple to be planted on east side of house, here in Medford it can get hot in summer, so as to avoid afternoon sun ......I dug done deep enough, the width 3 times the width of the root ball, I ammended w/ good garden soil/compost, being careful not to exceed 1/3 and the remaining 2/3 the existing ground soil ........I planted the first one in fall, the 2nd one in early spring ......both times the tree appeared dead w/in 3 months and gave up after 6 months ea time ......I know this Maple is sensitive to winds, although only once or twice will a strong wind come thru Medford, but still secured the tree to keep wind issues at bay .......I have made sure the soil stayed moist
    ANYWAY,
    I LOVE THIS TREE AND WISH TO SUCCEED THIS NEXT TIME,
    THANK YOU,
    HAROLD