Acer palmatum 'Beni shichihenge'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 26, 2004.

1. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some photos of my Beni Shichihenge today July 26, 2010

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. MrMaple

MrMaple Member Maple Society

Here is a photo of one of my 'Beni Shichihenge' taken on April 23, 2010. I really like the colors and the shape of this leaf.

Matt

Attached Files:

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  3. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

just got one yesterday, going to need a bit of shaping but iam up for the challenge!

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

In my garden Beni Shichihenge has good and bad years. During the bad years (usually the result of hot dry weather early in the spring) the color doesn't impress. This year, however, with a cool and wet spring, the colors were robust and eye-catching. It's a great JM, but I've found it really needs regular pruning for maximum effect.

5. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Ok,just my own opinion,but I think this cultivar deserves more recognition.I know I live in the maple friendly UK but for me this maple is simply the toughest of all my maples.
    Since day one it was stuck in the sunniest spot as a young graft,many hours of uninterupted sun and probably the least sheltered of the lot,and I don't think it's ever lost a leaf.....never gets singed,virtually no die back,and considering it's a variegate I think it's amazing.
    Sure it's got a dense growth pattern but at least this gives you an option if you like it that way.
    Though maybe not my absolute favourite,for the UK at least,it would be the first maple I'd recommend.

6. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Thats good to hear that its a trooper in full sun because thats where mine is headed. i have so much sun on my property i really have to be careful where i am able to plant part and full shade plants. do you guys have pics of your maples?

Attached Files:

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have had a fair amount of dieback on several of my 'Beni shichihenge' The treee does not get a lot of attention in my garden other than for a short tiime in spring when the pink is strong.

8. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Today I spent at least an hour or so working on A. palm 'Beni Shichihenge' to get rid of branches that had reverted. These were not just a couple of 6" branches, but major limbs (at least three) that were 4' long. I have had this tree since 1995 and this is the first year I have had a lot of this. Is it common? Also, as I was removing reverted limbs, I noticed that the center of the some of the branches looked brown. Is my tree on the way out?
    kay

9. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

I recently saw someone else having slight reversion with this cultivar on another forum so you're not alone,though there doesn't seem much mention of it here.For me in allday sun,it's been the most reliable plant in all ways from day one so I suspect it's one of the more reliable variegates.
    Interesting you mention brown centres.When pruning this year,I too have seen this on a few different species of plants,including one maple....reminded me of looking at the blunt end of a pencil.I'd also be interested on the forum's views about this though I can't remember if I noticed any other issues with said plants.

10. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Photographing this tree has been a struggle. I look at the pictures above (that I took) and I'm just not wowed. And yet, I remember that in person I really loved it (other than having put peach tones in front of the neighbors' orange toned log home). I think my 'Beni shichihenge' is finally in a location that is appropriate for it (I hope). The dark negative background space and the neighbors' green treeline are creating a nice contrasting backdrop to show off what I love about this tree: that when the light hits it just right, it glows. It is one that draws me from across the yard to come and take a closer look. And the spring pink has a peach tone to it so it's a little different from my 'Orido nishiki'

Attached Files:

11. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great variegation this year.

Attached Files:

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  12. belvedere

belvedere New Member

Bought my first Japanese Maple and planted it yesterday. A beautiful little ‘Beni Schichihenge’. I love these rosy pink variegated leaves!

The rosy pink leaves are quite small. A few branches here and there have larger, all green leaves. Is this the reversion that people talk about? Is it a good idea to get rid of these branches?

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@belvedere, good morning, that is indeed a lovely maple you have there.
    Re your question, 'yes' remove the small branches with the non variegated leaves as they are the stronger and will revert. I do so on mine yearly OR as soon as I see them appear. A maple can look unsightly if an unvarigated branch is left for a long time, then removed leaving gaping holes.
    Hope that's of help and welcome to the wonderful world of Japanese maples.

14. belvedere

belvedere New Member

@Acerholic Thank you so much for your insight and advice. I have trimmed away the green branches. Can’t wait to see the changing color over the season!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@belvedere, so glad to of been of help.

Acerholic

16. Acerholic

18th April 2022 and my Beni shichihenge in some evening Easter Monday sun.
    20220418_173016.jpg

stg and Xi-feng like this.
  17. Acerholic

19th May 2022 and my Beni shichihenge in all it's glory this morning.
    Beni Shishihenge 19th May 2022 (2).JPG Beni Shishihenge 19th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  18. Acerholic

14th June 2022 and this one I recommended to @acernoob yesterday. If you love tne pinks and don't want the problems that perhaps 'Taylor' brings, then this one will do the trick.
    Beni Schichihenge 14th June 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and Connor Sullivan like this.
  19. acernoob

acernoob Member

@Acerholic would you recommend Beni shichihenge over Shojo no mai? From just looking at pictures, I'm not sure if they are that different.

20. Acerholic

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with Shojo no mai, so cannot honestly answer your question. But I do recommend Beni shichihenge.

acernoob likes this.
  21. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

And here is famous photo responsible for your Mr. Maple logo!!! WOW! :D

22. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Now that is stunning... wow!

23. Acerholic

18th May 2023 and my Beni shichihenge has beaten my Marlo to some nice colours.
    PXL_20230518_101203916.jpg