Acer palmatum 'Azuma murasaki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 22, 2006.

1. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Azuma Murasaki is a lot greener than yours but it is in shade most of the day because it is in a pot still. It is one of my grafts so I have not selected it myself but so far I like it.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO, I like that M. Mine does get a lot of sun, but this year 2020 has been a very strange one for colours for a lot of my maples.
    Have raised this on 'what's the weather like' thread. Was it lockdown reducing the pollution thus allowing more solar ray's to maples in the Spring.
    The solar ray's have increased the production on solar panels across the world this year due to lockdown 'so why not plants'.

MapleMO likes this.
  3. Acerholic

18th August 2020 and everything is colouring up along with new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    Even with a couple of bites out of a couple of leaves, this one is so pretty.
    I thought I would show a not so perfect photo, as it is important for everyone to see, we all have our problems.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    As promised to a few members I would continue the photo diary, this is still looking good IMO.

Attached Files:

5. MapleMO

Some bright red new growth on my Azuma Murasaki.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@MapleMO so your also getting some late new growth M. Very dark and very pretty.

7. MapleMO

Good evening D. Yes, hopefully the new leaves will withstand the coming storm. I will put my pots in the shed just in case. Good luck tomorrow, it will hit here on Wednesday.

8. Acerholic

@MapleMO , thanks M , good luck to you also for Wedensday. But I think your nation is far better prepared when it comes to water than we are here. Really quite worrying the amount of storms in August though, trees are heavy in leaf. Is this the shape of future Summers. !!!

9. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night. The golden colour is also prominent now on my Azuma Murasaki.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    From golds to pink on my Azuma Murasaki today.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Some early morning mist and dew, so photo had to be taken and shared.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Azuma Murasaki just seemed to have tiny bubbles all over it.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and my Azuma Murasaki has the morning dew and the lovley sublte tones that this cultivar is known for.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

7th October 2020 and my maples are either turning to Autumn colours, or have new Spring like growth or the leaves are just ready to drop. Such a strange year.
    My little Azuma Murasaki is holding it's leaf very well for a newly planted tree this year. The colours are coming !!!

Attached Files:

15. MapleMO

My Azuma murasaki in fall colours.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Stunning M. Such vivid colours !!!

17. Acerholic

4th November 2020 and the first frost of this Autumn has arrived, so with the few left that have got leaves in my garden, here is my Azuma murasaki with sparkling white edges to its lobes.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

6th November 2020, only a couple of days since my last posting but the early morning Autumnal sun made it glow.

Attached Files:

MapleMO likes this.
  19. Acerholic

1st of May 2021 and my first posting of the year of my Azuma Murasaki. After the most difficult April I have ever known with severe Spring frosts, my trees are struggling a little. But here it is.
    Azuma murasaki 211.JPG

20. Acerholic

6th May 2021 and I wanted to show my Azuma Murasaki after three spraying sessions from 2200 hrs last night due to very hard frosts again.
    Not doing too bad atm.
    Azuma Murasaki 218.JPG

21. MapleMO

My Azuma murasaki with its nice pink-brownish spring colours and pretty leaves, I like it more and more.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

I'll be checking mine out tomorrow morning now M. Yours is very special.

MapleMO likes this.
  23. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Twenty years ago I bought two small grafts of 'Shigure bato' via mail order that turned out not to be that. After they grew for quite a few years I found they looked like 'Azuma murasaki' and was 99% convinced that was what they were. The more pictures I see of A.M. the more convinced I am. I like the leaf shape, I like the silvery white pubescence on the young unfolding leaves, I like the way the red can be overlaid on a green base colour when in partial shade, and most of all I like the way the pendulous branches nod in a gentle breeze.

24. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 I thought I would add mine this morning after seeing others last night on this thread.
    Azuma Murasaki 235.JPG

25. MapleMO

Wow, could you add a photo of your 20+year old (presumably) Azuma murasaki?