Acer palmatum 'Atropupureum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by NyxLimit, May 3, 2009.

1. NyxLimit

NyxLimit Member Maple Society

This one is about 4 years old

Attached Files:

sun and Mani like this.
  2. Vera Marina

Vera Marina Member

How tall is it? Beautiful! What kind of climate do you have? I've heard that if it is cold/er climate, they do not grow as tall as they would in a warmer climate. I wonder if that is true.Of course "colder" or "warmer" is not an accurate term. I suppose we are talking about colder/cooler summers. I leave in a colder climate and I kind of hope my Atropurpureum is not going to grow to 3-4 meters.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. NyxLimit

I live in The Netherlands, and is here spring now, so around 20'C, the summers are warmer around 28'C
    It is now almost 2 metres high

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. NyxLimit

The spring came and the leafs start to pop out again, and when i looked at it closely i saw 'flowers' for the first time, hoping there will be seedlings soon :)

I will try to post some new pictures as soon as possible

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  5. aromanowski

aromanowski Member

I am sorry for reviving this old thread, but... your tree is awesome. I have just planted mine outside by the street and hope it can be just as beautiful as the one you have posted. This may be one of the "classical" cultivars but is just a remarkable tree and the colours are just amazing.
    I do not know if you are still in the forum, but do you have any current pictures?

-Andres

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum ' this year 2020 is having it's best colour ever IMO. Planted in full sun from morning to dusk it glows.
    There some people who do not rate this tree highly. Why !!! Perhaps it's because it's been around for such a long time it has gone out of fashion so to speak, with all the new cultivars constantly being introduced with very good advertising.
    IMO if you want an excellent red that is tough, reliable and will also last you a life time if looked after properly, then I would say go for Atropurpureum.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Another update on my Atropurpureum, as I have been asked to keep this one regularly posted throughout the Summer, as evidence of holding it's colour. Photos taken early morning 11th July 2020.

Attached Files:

sun and Mani like this.
  8. Acerholic

Today the 17th July 2020, after a few requests to keep the photo diary on this one going through Summer, here it is still wonderfully red.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  9. Acerholic

28th July 2020, reds are still not fading. Hope A @sun can see that full sun is what this one needs.

Attached Files:

10. sun

sun Active Member

11. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Now the hints of Autumn colours are starting to appear on my Atropurpureum. What a wonderful cultivar this is. Bright red all Spring and Summer and now those teasing yellows.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  12. Acerholic

11th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.

Attached Files:

13. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, it`s beautiful! Such a great colour all the time since spring!

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

@sun, I'm so pleased with it, that and Skeeters broom are the bright reds every year in my garden.
    Thankyou for the kind compliment A.

15. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Now with rain water on the leaves of my Atropurpureum, I love this tree.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  16. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    The outstanding colour in my garden throughout the whole of 2020 is my Atropurpureum. Keeping the photo diary going for those that have asked.
    Little bit of Autumn creeping in !!!?

Attached Files:

17. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , I really love this light red, I think mine will be darker, though.

18. Acerholic

@sun, depends on its positioning A. Lots of shade and it will be a darker red. Give it full sun and it will glow all Summer.

19. Acerholic

Comparison beginning of July and 20th August. Quite a bit darker.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    So much colour on my Atropurpureum all year and it is not going to disappoint now either. A little leaf scorch here and there, but nothing to be concerned about at all.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Yes only two days since my last posting of my Atropurpureum, but in the early sun, it had to be taken and shared.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    My out and out favourite in my garden this morning is my Atropurpureum in the early sunshine.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    A few have asked how my Atropurpureum is still doing. Well, not bad at all !!!

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Atropurpureum.

Attached Files: