Acer palmatum 'Aksel'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This new cultivar is a chance seedling from Acer amoenum 'Matsuyoi' found in 2008 in a garden in Southwest France and named after the first grandson of the selector. The leaves flush pink and stay pink for a long time (3-4 months) which is quite unusual for an amoenum. As the season progresses the veins start to turn pale green while the remainder of the leaf stays pink. In the summer the leaves become pink-brown while the veins turn a darker green. Fall color orange/yellow like 'Matsuyoi'. The pictures shown were taken today, June 10th. Plant receives morning sun, being protected in the afternoon.

Gomero

P.S.: In my view it should be called Acer amoenum 'Aksel' but I used the other title to be coherent with the nomenclature used in this forum.

Attached Files:

2. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Congrats, Gomero. What a beautiful tree.

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Very pretty indeed! Since it's hard to tell from pictures, roughly how large are the leaves? Does it seem to be a fairly sturdy tree?

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice, Gomero, seems to be beautiful and very unusual. I am imagining that your own garden in Southwest France is the one in question, please correct me if I am wrong.

The sides of the leaf lobes seem slightly curved under á la Trompenburg, I wonder if any shirasawanum genes are involved here, maybe from the pollen donor?

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks everybody.
    Yes, Maf, it is my garden ;). It may indeed have 'shirasawanum blood', I just have to wait for the first flowers to come.
    Maplesandpaws, the leaves are in the medium-to-small league. I place an 'Osakazuki' leaf on top of 'Aksel' for reference.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi @Gomero. Do you still have this jm and have it flowered yet?

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I received this one in May or June. Can't wait to see what fall and spring brings.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples, don't know this one D, but I'm looking forward to next Spring to see it covered in that new growth.