Acer palmatum 'Adrian's Compact'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kaitain4, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Described thusly in the trade:

An upright deciduous shrub with a slow-growing, compact form and lovely small burgundy-red leaves. Fall color includes bright orange and red. Prefers sun/partial shade in well-drained soil. 5' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5.

Its a witches broom, as it has the characteristic stubby middle lobe on some leaves.

Enjoy pics..

Attached Files:

2. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

That dose not look like 'Adrian's Compact'. I would say someone switched the label. It looks like Skeeters Broom or Red Sentinel. I have never seen a 'Adrian's Compact' with the short center lobe like the plant in the picture.

3. Kaitain4

Could you post some proper descriptions and pics of a REAL Adrians then? I got this from Sam, who I trust implicitly. As far as Im concerned, its an Adrians until proven otherwise! And I think its quite lovely... :-)

4. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Yes Indeed K4! I think that I might add it to my wish list, if you get my meaning... :)

David

5. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

6. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi All,

I get my maples from Talon Buchholz. He has a new maple program for 1 gallon and 3 gallon JMs. Minimum order is 100 1gallon and 50 3 gallon. I received all three maples mentioned here- Red Sentinel, Skeeter's Broom and Adrian's Compact. I trust his staff to label maples correctly. So I say wait for the later summer push of new growth and then compare to the photo on Talon's website.

I won't say that I never received a mismarked maple - but mistakes are 1 in a thousand from him. Talon is the best in the U.S. as far as I am concerned. Thanks, Sam

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi Sam,

That sounds good to me! Definitely a cool cultivar.

David

8. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I agree 100% with you, Sam, that Talon's nursery is the best.
    The maple in Kaitain's post#1 (middle pic) has 2 leaves with
    shortened middle lobes indicating it is a witches broom which
    Adrian's Compact is NOT so all that has occurred is that plant got
    inadvertently mislabelled, and easy issue to correct.

9. Maple_Lady

Hi K4 and all,

OK, after talking with a maple expert who knows witches brooms far better than I do - I think that I may have shipped the wrong maple - Sorry K4. Of course I will make it right, but I don't think I can blame Talon or his employees for mislabeling this maple. This year is the first time I ordered through the Maple Program and I was very happy to see labels attached to the maples that gave a good description, cold hardiest zones and everything else you want to know when you buy a maple. In the past, I had to be a pest to get information on maples not in the JD Vertrees and Peter Gregory books.

So gratefully I took off the labels and brought them into my office computer to store the critical information for my own labels. I think I mixed up the labels when I put them back on the maples. I had a Skeeter's Broom, a Red Sentinel and an Adrian's Compact. So in all honesty I bet I made the mistake not Talon's staff. Mia culpa.

Of course K4 I will ship you a real Adrian's Compact this Monday, but sorry it has to be a 2 gallon instead of the 1 gallon you purchased. LOL.

I love this forum because I learn something everytime I visit. By the way I am attaching two pics - hope I labeled them correctly. Sam

10. Kaitain4

Sam,

Thanks for investigating! And thanks for making things right - you always do. This doesn't change my opinion of you one bit! I've ordered nearly 40 maples from Eastfork and every order has been close to perfect - even those mailed in the hot summer months! The plants are lovely, large, and packed with extraordinary care. You can rest assured I wouldn't hesitate ordering another 40! (and probably will) :D

And yes, Sam, I'm totally broken up over the fact that you're sending me a 2 gallon rather than a 1 gallon plant! But I'll get over it! ;-)

Yweride,

Thanks for your keen eye!!! I probably would never have caught that. You have a new fan!

Now the dilema!? Which cultivar did I actually recieve?? Sam said she had Red Sentinel, Skeeter's Broom and Adrian's Compact in the same order. Is there a way to tell Red Sentinal and Skeeter's Broom apart? Do I need to post some more detailed pics?

Thanks all!

P.S. - Sam, I did not see any attached photos...

11. Maple_Lady

Hi all,

I am attaching [I hope] the photos I discussed earlier. Thanks again all teaching me something new about maples every day. It is very satisfying to increase my knowledge base on these beauties. Thank you. Sam

Attached Files:

12. Maple_Lady

Yweride - can you identify the maple that was labeled Adrian's compact,which I sold to K4? And is the maple next to the Adrian's Compact a real Red Sentinel?

I looked through my inventory and I didn't find any Skeeter's Broom which I also got from Talon. I went to the Buchholz website and the photo for Skeeter's Broom was a large tree without much detail on the leaves. No pic for Red Sentinel.

Your expertise is appreciated. Thanks, Sam

13. Kaitain4

UPDATE:

OK, I got in the replacement 'Adrian's Compact' from Eastfork (thanks Sam, great job!), but now I still have the unfinished business of identifying exactly what I DID get in the first order. Sam says it is either 'Skeeter's Broom' or 'Twomby's Red Sentinel'. I'm posting pictures of the leaves from the first plant and hopefully some of you experts can help me get a positive ID.

This tree exhibits 3 kinds of leaves. Classic "witches broom" leaves with the shortened middle lobe - these predominate. There is also a giant version of these leaves, which I'm assuming is a juvenile leaf form (center bottom); and then there are normal looking palmate leaves, which made up a minority of the leaves (center top). Thanks in advance for any help in making this ID!

Attached Files:

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi K4,

I am no expert but I think that after much reserarching, I would say that you have a Skeeter's Broom. I say this because I looked at lots of pictures of it and I saw the shortened middle lobe. Also, on the picture that Sam attached on post #18, the first pictures shows the REAL Adrian's Compact next to a VERY VERY upright maple--and Twombley's Red Sentinel is supposed to be very thin.

Hope that helps,
    David

15. Kaitain4

You may be right David. I don't see any shortened lobes on that picture of 'Red Sentinel' Sam showed us. Hopefully someone out there has both cultivars and can give us a definitive...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to get a 'Red Sentinel' if what I have is a 'Skeeters'. I like that tall, skinny effect!

16. katsura

Kaitain, you have a Twombley's Red Sentinel!
    I studied both my Skeeters Broom and Twombley this evening and have NO DOUBT
    Sam sent you a Twombley's as the 1st plant. I'll tell you why I have NO DOUBT -
    lobe count! Twombley's has 5 (five) lobes and Skeeters has 7 (seven). The 4 leaves
    in post #20 each have 5 lobes as do the photos in post #1. Also, a Twombley's Red
    Sentinel wud agree with what Sam says herself in post #19. Also, when I closely
    study the plant in post #1 it looks like my Red Sentinel and NOT my Skeeters broom.
    I am sure you have a Twombley's Red Sentinel. ENJOY!

17. Kaitain4

Katsura,

Thank yo so much!! That gives me some peace of mind and now I can label this gorgeous tree properly. Big cyber-hug!! :-)

18. katsura

Glad to help, Kaitain. I know u wud do the same, my friend.
    Now u have 2 great cultivars for the price of 1.
    Funny how things happen.
    Enjoy them. I know u will.
    Mike/'katsura'