Acer p. 'Higasayama'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ChrisProbert, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

My 'Higasayama' started the year beautifully, but has now sprouted lots of larger plain green leaves, which are overwhelming the variegated leaves. I know this can happen when 'Higasayama' is treated too kindly(!), and I suspect mine needs more sun (I haven't repotted it this year).

The question is, what do I do now to get my 'Higasayama back? If I leave it, will it simply revert to the normal leaves next year? Or do I need to painstakingly remove all the rogue leaves now to allow the proper leaves to predominate? All suggestions gratefully received - thank you! Chris

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I have a Higasayama that is now 10-12 feet tall. It does just what you describe every year, so not to worry, it won't revert to a generic acer palmatum. You could remove each of these generic leaves and their replacements will be Higasayama's special variegated cupped hands. It may be a bit late to do this now and get new leaves before the fall, but you could try doing this to a branch or two and see if you get new Higi leaves this season or not.

Regardless, it will all be popcorn next spring that will unfurl into those little cupped hands before the generics additionally appear again, especially at the growing tips.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Chris, just to confirm: Higasa yama does not revert, but it does grow plain leaves as new growth. Next year these new branches will be variegated as expected.

I would not recommend pulling off the plain leaves unless you have some compelling reason to have it look "perfect". The plant wont really thank you in the long run!

best, -E

4. ChrisProbert

ChrisProbert Active Member

Thank you both for your swift and reassuring replies. I'll not attack these plain leaves then! C

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I think the varied foliage on the tree is very interesting and part of the show.