Acer nipponicum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by simongrant, Jan 2, 2012.

1. simongrant

simongrant Active Member Maple Society

This maple from Japan is rarely seen even in collections. From mountain forests of Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu, I have seen only the one tree several years ago in Osaka University botanic garden but didn't get a picture. I recently obtained some seed (late October). After 2 weeks of artificial cooling, I grew impatient and rather than wait 12 months till our next spring, I have successfully sped the germination process up by exposing the young root and planting in a sealed pot. Growth seemed slow at first and some plants had their growth tips eaten by a caterpillar, but all have now recovered except 1 of the ones that germinated. 2 plants did not germinate, both were soft when I attempted to extract the embryo and were clearly not viable. The pictures show the initial preparation and at 4 weeks.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Simon,

Great results!, acer nipponicum is probably the species that has a hardest time in my hot climate. Even growing in shade and well watered it systematically develops leaf 'burn' and ends the season in a sorrowful state. I'd be interested to know how it fares at your place.

I'll be trying your method shortly. For the precision cut, what tool do you use?, do you do it under binoculars?

Gomero

3. simongrant

simongrant Active Member Maple Society

Gomero,
    I use my fingernail. After a few trials, I found it best to start on the side (bottom right) gently scraping until the green colour is exposed. I then put them in a humid area (a pot sealed in a large plastic "Glad-Bag" on seed-raising mix for 24 hrs (top right). The 24 hrs seems to loosen then capsule so than it then peels away. Start from the green exposed area up to the origin of the root need the "wing" and then usually the capsule easily separates from the root in the direction of its growth without touching it. I then only plant them shallowly to avoid rotting but as the root begins to grow the seedling may need to be re-planted deeper. A mist sprayer keeps the humidity up throughout the process. since the last photo their growth has accelerated.
    Simon

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i confirm gomero news ,i have one nipponicum he grown only 15 cm ,aftere 4 years in my garden,leaves burn every summer ;simon nice good result bravo!!