Acer micranthum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Jul 4, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A smaller snakebark that is hardy and slow growing. Nice fall color and branches turn reddish in winter. Native to Japan.

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The spring leaves are also very attractive, the orange red color may last (depending on local conditions) until the end of spring. These pics were taken last week.

Gomero

Attached Files:

3. Laughing Boy

Laughing Boy Member

Gomero

I want to plant A Micranthum in SW France and wonder if you know of any suppliers / pepinieres where I might be able to buy one. I am between Villeneuve-sur-lot and Cahors.

Also any advice on growing conditions etc would be very much appreciated - e.g my soil is pretty heavy - would this be a problem?

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Laughing Boy,

The closest one I know that carry the tree is C. Bessard but he is in the Ain department. His phone number is 04 74 30 41 81;
    Concerning growing conditions, mine is in dappled shade and I would avoid afternoon sun in our region. It would certainly like rich soils with good drainage. I do not know how it would behave if planted in heavy clay, but most likely will not do well, specially in dry spells.

Gomero

5. Laughing Boy

Laughing Boy Member

Many thanks Gomero

I am now thinking of an Acer griseum which is probably more tolerant of full sun - in fact full sun should improve autumn colour. Do you grow one? Looks like C. Bessard has a good selection of maples so I'll phone him if I can't find anyone closer.

I already have an acer shirasawanum palmatifolium which has survived its first year in full sun (although last summer was not that hot). My main concern with this one is late frosts.

Thanks again for the info.

Laughing Boy.