Acer laurinum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by emery, Oct 14, 2016.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Acer laurinum Hasskarl (1843) is one of the two members of section Hyptiocarpa, along with A. garretti Craib (1920). It's range is Southeast Asia including upper Burma, North Vietnam, Hainan Province, and "the islands of Java and Sumatra, Philippines, small Sunda islands to Flores" (MOW) where it grows in upland forests from 1000 to 2000m.

Of the 2 individuals shown here, both from seed ex Burma, neither had large root mass and the wide-leaved plant died suddenly in February 2016. It didn't freeze but simply stopped taking up moisture and dried out. The narrower leaved plant is still alive although it suffered some bacterial damage this cold spring. The pictures of the flowers and samaras are from 1 October 2016. I haven't yet checked if any are fertile.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda and AlainK like this.
  2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

mine is slow growing and sick ,Emery wich exp.have your?

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I planted the maple shown above, but after a couple of years of doing OK it died in late spring freezing. The tender maples seem to be OK with some cold, but if they get going in Spring and then freeze, it's pretty much mortal.

I had it in a lot of shade, maybe too much; I've heard that they actually do better with more sun, so that the wood can ripen better.

alex66 likes this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In the Sino-Himalayan region there is a tendency for plants collected below quite high seeming altitudes to not be hardy even in USDA 8. So if this maple is not currently known above 3000 m even collections from the top end of the range may need a soft winter climate elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    alex66 likes this.
  5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

many thanks Ron B and Emery ,mine is in total shade...but Acer fabri (sigh)in mid shade dead for burning bark..Acer laevigatum ,Acer coriaceifolium
    in my zone they grown fast in open sun .of course not problem for Creta maple Acer sempervirens and Acer obtusifolium