Acer identification

Discussion in 'Maples' started by John Dann, May 7, 2020.

1. John Dann

John Dann New Member

hi can anyone help identifying these different trees
    Not all good examples just need a bit of tlc and positioning right
    All hints appreciated
    Is there a general rule on best way to take cuttings from acers

20200506_181942.jpg 20200506_182043(0).jpg 20200506_182043.jpg 20200506_181959.jpg 20200506_182003.jpg

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi John, These are all various A. palmatum cultivars. No real way to give a good ID from these few pictures.

In general these plants are very difficult to propagate by cuttings. If you have access, you might try layering or air layering.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@John Dann, in full agreement with emery, though there is someone on this forum @zfrittz who has a wealth of experience and success in Hydroponics. I've copied him in on this post as I'm sure he will give you some excellent advice on this re cuttings. I've only ever had success with seeds and grafting myself.
    From me , can I ask if you have recently taken over a new garden in Brighton? If so your maples would really benefit from some good quality compost dug in lightly around the base of your trees. I'm aware the soil there does need a little help. JM do like a very good drainage, you will have that where you are so that is really good news for your trees. And you have very few frosts luckily!!!! Unlike some of us lol.

4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hi John, as Emery has said, at this time the best thing for propagation is making air layering.
    Cuttings are best from mid-February to early March, depending on the area, just before swelling the buds, with wood from the previous year, or from mid-June to July, when the wood from this year's branches is has hardened.
    Being plants difficult to root, I advise you to use so as not to complicate much coconut soil, or akadama, and if it is not possible to peat and sand at 50%, that is, any soil that drains perfectly, and to use rooting hormones.
    In addition you will have to make a kind of greenhouse to maintain high humidity.
    In any case it is difficult to root and more if you do not have experience.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Summer cuttings are possible from 1 or 2 yr-old stems. The softer top must be removed and 3-4 leaves kept, and regularly misted. It works well on most Acer palmatum.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Organic material applied to soils occupied by existing woody plants should be used as mulch, rather than dug in. Also with Japanese maples specifically anything used that might contain Verticillium should be avoided. For instance I once put purchased "black dirt" near spontaneous Acer circinatum and then had them develop a dying back that could be seen to be Verticillium when the insides of the stems were examined.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Ron B, I do agree you have to be so very careful. It is worth spending a little more money on quality compost. But it's not too easy to get hold of sadly.