Acer coriaceum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by alex66, Oct 17, 2012.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Alex and congratulations! I have also just received my order from Esveld, with A. coriaceum too. I am looking forward to trying to grow it.

3. alex66

:-)
    i love taxa!

4. alex66

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    LoverOfMaples, Romain01 and maf like this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

alex66 and Romain01 like this.
  6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, since this thread is in the photo gallery, the correct title should be Acer x coriaceum.

Interesting to see the thread coming up again, my plant from 2012 long dead, another from 2014 is still barely alive, I really only kept it this year because there's some mint growing in the pot. There is perhaps a viable bud. The understock has never put on root or girth, and I think it's pretty much a poster child for (or against rather) using A. pseudoplatanus as "universal rootstock". Esveld does this frequently, even when it doesn't seem necessary. I understand the necessity of doing this in order to propagate certain maples, but it often seems to fail to thrive and then slowly die. I haven't calculated, but I'm guessing I've only gotten about a 50% rate with these grafts, and I cringe a bit when I see one.

I have another x coriaceum from the same source (and with the same understock) that I got last year, it's in much better shape but already the graft is outgrowing the stock. I will put it in ground next fall. It kept its leaves quite late, to mid-November, since we don't live in Rome! :) Looked for some pics but didn't find easily, sorry. The color here was yellow without the reddish tones.

LoverOfMaples, alex66 and maf like this.
  7. alex66

autumn in Rome is very long .this is a problem for the autumn colors show beacuse only a few number of acer have together autumn colors and the mass effect is poor :( Acer buergerianum Spring festival and Acer discolor have start autunm colors now!!!is january...

AlainK and emery like this.