Acer Campestre - new cultivar?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke Merivale, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Luke Merivale

Luke Merivale New Member

Hi everybody, I am a member of a bonsai forum and I posted some pictures of a quite unique Field Maple that I found and one of the members suggested that I posted them here to show you all to see what you think. I’d love to know if people think it would be worth registering as a new cultivar and what steps I need to take to make it possible. Thanks.

This tree is currently only 60cm or so tall, sitting amongst a group of self seeders, underneath a planted grouping of other more mature trees at a water treatment works. The only maples nearby are field maples, and a couple of sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus).

Has anyone seen anything like it before?
    1BF8761F-4261-4A2C-9753-BEBE4056B3D1.jpeg F7A3FB94-EA08-49E5-A9AC-C9339D9AF9F3.jpeg
    This is a side by side of it’s immediate neighbour to show leaf size and shape for comparison. Oddball on the left.
    BEE4420E-D97E-4B7D-8F53-95AA4DBCC1C9.jpeg

AlainK likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Luke, Thanks for bring us this one.

Personally I don't think it's way beyond the range for indented lobes on a campestre, but it's certainly attractive for all of that. And I can't think of a named selection with those characteristics, which might make it worth pursuing.

The first thing to do is to move it to another environment, perhaps a pot, and see if it keeps the same characteristics. If after a few years, it stays small and indented, try propagating (air layer since you're a bonsai guy, or grafting) and see how the next generation does. If the characteristics that impress you continue, then would be the time to look at naming it.

The old nursery rule is: 10 years / 10 meters. If after 10 years, it is distinguishable from other field maples from 10 meters, it is worth naming. (Though in truth that rule is rarely observed anymore, rather to the detriment of plant collectors IMO. Regardless of the time you give it, try and make sure it keeps its characteristics before naming).

The basic rule for registration is that it should be propagated and on the sales list of a nursery. The Maple Society is the registrar for new cultivars. Previously Peter Gregory was charged with this, but sadly he has recently passed. We're in the process of putting an online system in place, hopefully by the time you're ready we will be too, at the Maple Society website.

Again thanks, and good luck with it! It looks like it would add a nice texture, and I would certainly grow it -- which isn't true for all of the campestre cultivars out there!

cheers, -E

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Very nice find. Too bad it thousands of miles away. I would definitely be interested in growing this beautiful one.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke Merivle, after looking at your photos it came to mind that a lot of Water authorities, especially Southern Water (Otterbourne) did a lot of planting on their sites of rare trees. This maybe a seedling from one of them. Do you have permission to pot this one up? Could be an exciting new variety, good luck.