Abies Koreana

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by puttycat, Nov 7, 2008.

1. puttycat

puttycat Member

Agios Stefanos by Athens, Attiki - Greece
    I live in hardiness zone 8-9 (Greece - but in a cooler pocket, close to Mt. Parnitha) and have planted an Abies Koreana 3 years ago. The tree was doing very well until October this year. In fact it grew about 1.20m in this time and has made cones last year for the first time since we bought it.
    Now I am extremely worried.
    The needles are yellowing from the bottom to the top - inside to the outside - needle tip to base, non symmetric.
    I can not find any bugs on the tree and this years growth continues to look healthy.
    I do find a few spots on the trunk of the tree that bleed resin, but very little, on 2 spots it is whitish.
    The soil is clay which was enriched with peat and polyhum at planting. I have added since then bio-compost. The ground has a good number in earth worms.
    Neighboring plants are doing well - with the exception of am Pieris Japonica - which is a lighter shade of green, without the typical chlorosis symptoms (showing veins..) but a uniform "yellow".
    On advisement I have applied "Sequestren" and Iron pellets, as well as on advisement a leaf fertilizer "Miller Nutri leaf" 20-20-20 which I also sprayed on the Abies and all other plants and conifers. They all seem to do very well with it. At this time the conifers had already previously received their own specialized fertilizer.
    On advisement I have applied a root drench and foliar spray against "Phytophtora" - but I have seen so far no result.
    Will I loose my tree? Could it be water shortage in the deep earth as I watered, but we had hardly any rain at all this year?

Thank you so very much for your answer.
    PS I can provide pictures of the tree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Good 'ol Greece.

That's where my dad is from - years ago Moved to Canada first, about 1955. Then we came to Oregon in 1962. I don't speak the language - just like the food.

In the upper part of your photo, the yellowing on the interior looks like something acceptible as conifers shed foliage inside late growing season into winter. It turns golden, tan or orange inside for many evergreens.

The lower discolor on some exterior foliage - I'm not certain.

Could be sunburn ?? Sometimes a quick fast increase of hot sunny weather that does not allow foliage to acclimate, can damage needles or leaves. But I can't say for certain.

Do you have spider mite infestations there during the hot season?

3. puttycat

puttycat Member

Agios Stefanos by Athens, Attiki - Greece
    Greek food - yes definately nice!
    I am German myself and lived in the US for some years .... anyhow ..

Spider mites - I have not seen any except on two indoor plants that I sucessfully dealt with. I could not find anything in form of crawlies etc with the help of a magnifying class.

Sunburn - the tree is in half shade and yellowing is more pronouced to the lower branches as the higher top branches and this years crowth are hardly affected. These do get though much more sun.