Abies koreana 'Aurea' planting

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by monkeytreeboy15, Feb 21, 2009.

1. monkeytreeboy15

monkeytreeboy15 Member

Hello everyone. I just bought an Abies koreana 'Aurea' ('Luminetta') [Golden Korean fir] that is in a one-gallon pot. The tree is about 18 inches tall and root-bound.I would like to keep it in a bigger pot which it could stay in for up to 5 years. If I'm able to do this,
    how should I go about planting it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wash the dirt off, pull open the roots, re-plant with roots spread out. Do what you have to for it to end up with all the roots in a radiating pattern.

If the rootstock is too knotted to get it all re-arranged, the specimen is a loss as far as I am concerned - and apart from the often comparatively high prices is the main reason I seldom buy the small grafted conifers offered locally. If you find a root turnip or rat's nest inside yours but cannot bear to toss it then you can still grow it on and settle for the results you get.

Will not make a big enough specimen to crush a car or split a house if it pivots over later.