Abies grandis

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by alex66, May 16, 2007.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi today I read that Abies grandis have origin in Vancouver, WOW!!! ,also I read that some trees are 90m higth!!!Someone have more informations and if possible pic of this
    BIG tree,in the garden of UBC exist one big tree? Tanks for reply alex

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lam Asian Garden and vicinity has native bluff-edge stand of grand firs, as you look west from UBC Botanical main parking there is a backdrop of them. Bluffs above inland salt waterways typical habitat here, likely they like the moisture and fertility coming along clay layers from farther back. It would also seem occasional high wind episodes on such sites and resultant blowing down of trees would also enable them to compete and reproduce much more successfully than on more sheltered sites a short distance farther inland.

See Van Pelt, FOREST GIANTS OF THE PACIFIC COAST (Global Forest/Washington) for pictures and descriptions of largest individual grand firs still extant:

"...grand fir is one of the tallest tree species in the world--surprisingly, some specimens have been recorded reaching 300 feet. The tallest specimens known today are not that tall, as we know of only three individuals over 260 feet. Very tall trees, particularly short-lived species like this, seldom stay tall for long, as they either break or fall over."

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

More info here:
    http://www.conifers.org/pi/ab/grandis.htm
    Including (see 'Big Tree') citation of the tallest known, 81.4 m tall, in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, Washington.

In cultivation in Britain and France, it has reached 63m tall already.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Oh!! R.B. and M.F you are my teacher.....